We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Inter Railing

I'm going inter railing this summer and I've been looking into the best way to spend in mainland Europe. I've saved up 1500 and the trip is probably going to destroy the vast bulk of that.

It seems that the clarity credit card is the one thats highly recommended. I'm not sure how willing they'll be to give a 19 year old a credit card with a high balance, but I'll give it a go. I have a few questions though - When I'm away I want to be able to see the balance of my accounts at different stages so I know how much money I have left.
I was planning on just using my debit card at Ulster Bank for that - but the rate and cash withdrawal fees are disastrous. But the advantage to using one would be I could check my balance almost daily at internet cafes and I could keep a pretty tight control on spending.
is there any way with credit cards to check statements online like that, even if there is a 2/3 lag on updates it would be fine.

Also, I don't want to rely on one card the whole trip. Just incase I lose it, get pick pocketed etc. So I was thinking about a card in my wallet and a card in my bag for emergencies. Should this back up card be another credit card and should I look for another way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help, really appreciated.

Comments

  • travelgran
    travelgran Posts: 297 Forumite
    Remember that if you withdraw money on a credit card interest payments start from Day 1. Also if you do not pay all of it off each month interest payments will continue to be added.
    I'd go for a debit card. As long as you know how much is in the account you can check off each withdrawal as it happens without recourse to internet cafes.
    Another idea is to buy a pr-loaded card before you go. You can check how it works at your local travel agents.
    And yes, do take more than 1 card so you have an alternative if 1 is lost, stolen or refused.
    Enjoy your trip!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.