Children and Choices?

Options
Hi All,
I am seeking advice on choice of sofa.... we are planning for children and a sofa will probably arrive first....

Which is more practical leather or fixed cloth? has anyone managed to maintain a leather sofa successfully?

your thoughts please :T
:j Where there is a will there is a way - there is a way and I will find it :j

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bit confused,are children visiting or are you hoping to have a family one day and want to invest in a sofa that will last throughout their child hood........your own children that is...........if the latter buy a cheap one then once they are past the sticky hands and crayons stage ............well actually when they have flown the nest and are no longer puting there mucky shoes over it, spilling there drinks on it then get a decent one...........alternatively put throws over them or get one with loose covers that can be washed.

Beth
    xx
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    I have two very young children and find a leather sofa very practical. It is easy to keep clean and more hygenic.
  • quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went for leather as I was washing the cloth covers ALL the time. The leather has got scratched by the kids but it adds to it's character, it's 3 years old now and looks better than it did when we bought it. Go for it!
  • lisa_75
    lisa_75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    Options
    Leather. Very easy to keep clean. Especially if you have children and/or pets.
  • notakid
    notakid Posts: 10,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you go for leather go for the cheaper leather slightly shiny. Its brilliant for wiping off stains. I had one of those for years and it looked brand new when I got rid of it. The new one we brought was top quality leather (cost 1000.00s) and it has a matt finish which really really shows up the stains!

So moral of story def go for leather but go for the cheap leather!
    But if ever I stray from the path I follow
    Take me down to the English Channel
    Throw me in where the water is shallow And then drag me on back to shore!
    'Cos love is free and life is cheap As long as I've got me a place to sleep
    Clothes on my back and some food to eat I can't ask for anything more
  • do_it_today!
    Options
    Great thank you for your responses yes we are planning on having children - I keep seeing lots of lovely cream sofa's I wonder those with leather sofa's - do you live with light or dark coloured sofa's?

also is it possible to remove biro pen marks from sofa's?
    :j Where there is a will there is a way - there is a way and I will find it :j
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Don't get a cream fabric sofa which only has removable cushion covers. For some reason I bought one when I was expecting my eldest.

It's ends up filthy really quickly and it's a chore to clean as the arms are fixed and padded, so you can't put them in the washer. The seat and back cushion covers have been off and washed so many times that they are all out of shape now, so the sofa looks wiggly if you know what I mean!

It's 10 year old now and it's a right mess. We're saving and looking to buy a leather one on the January sales.

With another baby on the way, I'm certainly going to get a chocolate brown leather one so any spills and stains are easily wiped off!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After having a cream fabric sofa like Beccles, I learnt the same lessons. Then I went for a dark red one and it shows all the cat hairs :confused:
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Penny_Watcher
    Options
    SV400001-1-2.jpg

^^ Fat Bob when she was a pup and Black Dog after a muddy walk ^^

Brown leather sofa's are the BEST! 2 mucky dogs, 1 footballing son, 1 mountain biking husband, 1 pony mad daughter and clean little me :p can all pile on at the same time and it only takes a rub down with a damp cloth to get it back to clean.

:D

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree :T

we have had a choc brown leather sofa for about 18 months now ( 2 kids aged 10 & 4)

its fab ,just wipe all the muck off :D:o :rotfl:

dont do what my sister did and buy cream leather with 2 small kids :rolleyes: :confused: :rotfl:

she has ended up placing choc brown throws on it :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport