School Christmas party

Options
Just wondering if any other people have children at schools where they now refer to the school Christmas party as the end of term party so as not to offend any other cultures.
My grandchildrens school have no decorations up and their party is not allowed to be called a Christmas party.

I have no objection to other cultures and festivals being celebrated and neither do my daughters, they are more than happy to learn about Diwali, Chinese New Year and any other festivals or celebrations but why should their kids not be allowed to celebrate Christmas in the traditional way, as far as I know there's no nativity play either.

One of my DD had a meeting at the school yesterday and was basically told if you don't like it send your children to another school but in this borough it's the policy which is a complete lie as she then rang 16 schools who all said they were having Christmas parties and nativity plays. She has now rung the Sun to back their campaign.
I've probably opened up a can of worms with this thread but would be interested in others opinion.
Paid off so far Natwest overdraft £1900 Kays catalogue £200 Personal Loan £2500 Tax Credit £1300 J D Williams
Still to go Barclaycard £880 Sainsburys CC £38.80 Littlewoods CC £208 Vanquis CC £390 Littlewoods Cat £821.38 Next £75.26

Comments

• This politically correct nonsense really really annoys me.

What the hell do all these people "cancelling" Christmas think they are playing at?

Britain is a multicultural place these days, and everyone should have the right to celebrate their faith, and by extension, their faiths holy days (holidays).

I don't care what faith it is, they have the right to call their holy days what they want, and celebrate them how they please (within the boundaries of the law).

By the way, I'm not a Christian, and I'm not religious in the slightest.

Live and let live.
    Wha's like us - damn few, an' they're a' deid
    :footie:

Competition wins:-
    July - Magic mince cookbook (first win)
  • Carmina_Piranha_3
    Options
    our primary school has a christmas party and the plays usually include a nativity somewhere (even if it's doctor who going back in time). there are decorations and a tree and a posting box for christmas cards. there are children of different faiths at the school and some jehovas witness children don't take part in some of the activities (but not just at christmas, assemblies too) - others take part but understand that their religion has it's differences. i don't think any other children don't take part. the whole school learn about other faiths and do things to celebrate their special days (whether the school has children of that faith or not), they visit the sikh temple etc. (but they must cover their heads).

understanding that other people may have a different faith does children no harm in my opinion, and nobody seems to be offended by the majority celebrating christmas. the witnesses who don't take part aren't offended, they just choose not to take part.

is the reason the school calls it end of term party actually because people are offended by the term 'christmas' or might it be simply because they have a party at the end of every term?
    'bad mothers club' member 13

* I have done geography as well *
  • andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    Well our primary school is having a Christmas party and a nativity play. So are other schools in the area. I'm glad the OP is taking a stance on this.

I agree with other posters, I don't see how it is offensive to celebrate Christmas.
  • debtfreehopeful_2
    Options
    I really do feel it is attitudes such as that of this school which fuel racism and intolerance. Not because other cultures have objected to Christmas but because someone in an office somewhere decided they might. I'm a Christian and i get very frustrated when councils, schools and other organisations decide my beliefs matter less than someone elses and for the life of me i cant work out why
    Sue
  • skintarooney
    Options
    Who do all these people think they are? They think they can cancel Christmas as it will upset other religions!? These are the people that incite racism and prejudice!

Our school have both nativities and Christmas parties, infact my daughter played the part of Mary!

I love this time of year when everyone gets involved with all the hustle and bustle, town centres are alight with hundreds of bulbs and Christmas songs are blaring from every shop.

By the way did I mention I am a Muslim!? Doesnt offend me in the slightest! So for goodness sake can all these people who see themselves as do-gooders STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What I don't understand is how Christmas can offend anybody? It exists and is part of the Christian faith to celebrate the birth of Jesus. We do not object to other faiths celebrating, and as far as I understand, other faiths do not actually object to celebrating Christianity, in whatever form (be it Christmas, Easter etc). It is just the PC brigade who really have nothing better to do than to whip up conflict from nowhere. If somebody DID object to us celebratiing Christmas, the answer should be "if you don't like it, nobody is asking you to celebrate it, but it is of no concern of yours if we wish to celebrate it in whatever way we choose". We close down for a couple of days in the name of Christmas and EVERYBODY (well, almost and I refer to those with jobs of an essential nature such as policing, fire fighting, nursing etc) has the choice whether they wish to undertake Christian celebrations or not - if not, just enjoy a few days off!!!! If we closed down due to Diwali, then that would be nice too! Why don't we just have bank holidays for ALL the faiths, that way we would all get extra holidays and nobody could be offended at all!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure