Redundancy - Unexpected Impact re application

Options
Hi Guys,

More of a ramble about where my head is at rather than a question... I hope that is ok.

We were unofficially told on Friday 13th we are to be made redundant. The actual notice is due in about three weeks. The whole team is going. No chance for redeployment as the work is going to an international company. Been with the company just over 2 years. Impeccable work record. (The unit head caved and told us even though he was not supposed to as he couldn’t cope with the news hence the unofficial status)

My problem does not relate to the redundancy process as such.... but my attitude.

I just can’t apply myself at work. My job will be in India or similar shortly so what’s the point? I glided through last week and did very little. My manager (who has been made redundant too) has noticed we have all taken a foot off the gas but has not said anything and in my head the only thought I have is..Well what can they do, Fire me, not bloody likely. (Trust me they wouldn’t)

We are customer service based and that is normally my passion. So for me to do the absolute bare minimum to get the job off my desk absolutely unheard of. Last Friday I had a query come in and I just fobbed it off and more worryingly I didn’t care.

I need to get my Mojo back, pronto! :eek:

I could be making a rod for my own back because we may get a run off period and then I will be wading in work to play catch up. I kept trying to tell myself this last week but it didn’t cut it. Even thinking about the poor customer getting such a bad service (would usually have me going mental) didn’t even gee me up.

I
MUST
APPLY
MYSELF

*sigh*

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 23 May 2011 at 10:45AM
    Options
    How many of you are there that are likely to be going?

Also does the group have a good reputation with other similar groups in your and other companies.
    There may be scope(slim) for a job lot if there is another place looking for a new team.

Have a look at the job market to see who is recruiting.
  • Elinore
    Elinore Posts: 259 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2011 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Hi GM4L

We are very tight knit, driven, customer focused and productive team of 6 (one being our manager) Sadly our own firm and three other firms in the area have released staff ahead of us so the market has a glut of our speaciality.

Our role came through the original rounds of redunancy unscathed and we were told that was it. no more. and we could relax so it was a bit more of a shock.

In relation to getting further work I have hit the ground running and got my details out there.

I am not proud, I will stack shelves, mop floors, work in maccydees even *shudder* do telesales :)

Regarding my original problem… just typed this rather than doing my work so my promise to stay focused is not working Lol

Thanks
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up too much, you haven't been told officially, and it is a normal reaction, the manager obviously is feeling the same.

good luck in securing something else soon
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Options
    OK - so you haven't lost your mojo (will somebody please tell me what the hell a mojo is) because you are out there and doing something about your situation. You have lost your employment motivation, and why the hell not - it doesn't matter what you do because it will all be gone. That's just normal, human behaviour. It is called grieving. Look at this from another point of view - this could be the best thing that has happened to you. OK, maybe not right now, or even tomorrow.... But you can now officially do anything in the world! You can think the unthinkable... you can aim for anything. Your safety net of what you do, and where you do it, and how you do it, is gone. So you can fixate on that (and it doesn't sound like you are the type) - or you can decide that this is a golden opportunity, and no matter what it takes.... Life is too short, and as my mother always used to say "it ain't a rehearsal". This is is chance to start over and re-make yourself. Make the most of it. Remember, no matter what it all feels like now, can you really enviage at 205 (the retirment age as it will be when it gets to be your turn) retiring from the job you have now and thinking "I could have done..."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure