Saving money by paying on card

Comments

• Big_Nige
    Big_Nige Posts: 144
    First Post
    Forumite
    onlyroz wrote: »
    You could also try slow stoozing - so get a credit card with 0% on purchases, and use this to buy everything. You then put an equivalent amount into a savings account - and pay off the card at the end of the 0% period.

I do this using my M & S card (0% for 15 months) & have a cashback card (paid in full every month) as a back up.
    Every day above ground is a good day.
  • Great ideas everyone. Let more ideas come out.
  • Very interesting idea..
  • mondello
    mondello Posts: 225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Big_Nige wrote: »
    I do this using my M & S card (0% for 15 months) & have a cashback card (paid in full every month) as a back up.

I do this with Tesco CC, my spendning is reduced and the points all add up.
  • Great ideal! As a bad money spender, maybe I need to follow it.
  • This is a really good idea

I used to draw money out of the cash point each week, and I never knew where I spent the £50 per week

So what I have done is created another account is MS money called wallet, and in here I track everything to the nearest penny.

It really focuses the mind on how I spend money, and makes me question every decision and thus I am able to save more money now
    Mortgage Was £153,000 - Now at £135,391 - 199 remaining payments, target 173 - Now Saving instead of Overpaying to build a one off overpayment once fixed deal ends, as savings paying 3.65% than mortgage rate. - Emergency Fund £4,935 / £6,800 73.0% - Age for early Retirement 66 Currently, but aiming for earlier, number of months to go 147
  • I'm completely the opposite with money. If I have cold hard cash I don't want to spend it as I can see how much I'm frittering away. However, I will happily swipe, swipe, swipe the plastic without knowing how much is left on it.
    SPC = £15.54 #1413
    £2 challenge = £22
    DEBT =
    [STRIKE]£5030[/STRIKE] £4488.50 (10%)

• SupermumTGF
    SupermumTGF Posts: 28 Forumite
    I tend to do that aswell, as when I have cash I spend like crazy. However with a debit card I am more likely to consider whether the purchase is necessary!

Good tip to share
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    On Friday I will have been doing this for a whole year and for me its worked out very well.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • HeadAboveWater
    HeadAboveWater Posts: 3,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    strangely enough, I've found the opposite works better: paying in cash instead of card!

say I went to do a supermarket shop with £20 in my purse. filling the basket, I just figured it wouldn't matter if I went over the £20 coz I'd have my debit card with me anyway 'just in case'. plus it's all too easy to buy a clothes or skin care or 'stuff' round the town at lunchtime when I've got my card with me :P

here's how I've got myself outta debt and I'll make up figures to give an idea:
    monthly wages = £1000
    outgoings (ie. rent, phone, car, bills, etc.) = £600
    what's left = £400
    no of weeks in a month = 4
    money 'available' per week = £100
    lift the £100 cash out a Friday for example, that's to last the week, food, coffees, cinema, whatever, and LEAVE THE DEBIT CARD AT HOME!!!!! lol :) I've found it soooooooooo much easier to keep a track of spending that way, plus work out above figures so you've an extra few pounds in the bank so you're always saving a wee bit too.

I'm completely the opposite with money. If I have cold hard cash I don't want to spend it as I can see how much I'm frittering away. However, I will happily swipe, swipe, swipe the plastic without knowing how much is left on it.

EXACTLY!!!!!
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family