help! accident after insurance company cancelled insurance by mistake

Options
13»

Comments

• foddleboop
    foddleboop Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    well I'm sorry you feel it was arrogant and pathetic-
    My husband was wrong to leave the scene, I told him so at the time, and I've said so further up this thread, however I does suffer from quite a serious anxiety condition and this incident did trigger an episode- it took him 3 hours to calm down. I do feel very strongly this explains his behaviour, although it does not excuse it. Real1314 posted in a tone seemingly accusing my husband of knowing about the insurance issue- I was explaining his actions as I agree that it seemed suspicious from a outsiders perspective. He is in fact the most decent person I have ever met, he just also happens to be ill.
    Having made that mistake I posted on here asking for advice as to how to put it right. We have gone back to the car park to attempt to contact the owner and left our details. But I do think that it being an older car and less valuable car experiencing a very slight amount of damage does make this a less serious incident than if it was a valuable car or if it had suffered a great deal of damage. I can't imagine why anyone would disagree with that?
    As for being ashamed, well if I were as judgemental as you are, I would be, as it is I'm not even sure what you think I have to be ashamed of!
    I've heard MSE forums are unwelcoming and full of horrible people before. Now I know it's true! I sharnt be coming back. (Thanks again though to Quentin, your advice was very helpful!)
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    My old and not valuable car was written off by a seemingly trivial incident like this. As it was written off the insurance was immediately cancelled with no refund for the 9 months unused policy. I got £400 payout with which I needed to purchase a new car and insure it, having forked out for a full years insurance only 3 months prior. I then ended up having to get a loan to buy a new car, I lost 4 days of work having no transport to get there, and was seriously, seriously inconvenienced and badly out of pocket.

I appreciate what anxiety can do, and do have sympathy for what must have been very distressing, but I don't think you can say categorically that it was 'not that bad' - you have no idea what impact it could have had.

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 May 2011 at 11:26AM
    Options
    foddleboop wrote: »
    ......I'm not even sure what you think I have to be ashamed of!......!)

That’s the sad bit, I’ll give you a clue……..

1. Failing to comply with the legal requirement to report the accident.

2. Failing to comply with the moral requirement to use best endeavours to locate the owner of the car you damaged.

3. Trying to justify the above by playing the MH and “it was only an old fiesta” cards.

Those might excuse the initial panic and run away (although stopping, inspecting damage, identifying the year of the fiesta and making 100% sure there were no witnesses might lead a cynic to disagree) but does nothing to excuse subsequent behaviour.

Maybe I’m turning into a grumpy old git but still subscribe to the maybe quaint & old fashioned view that if you damage another car you do your best to put it right rather than trying to wriggle out of it.

Ahh well, hopefully there is a god of karma and your OH’s 100% certainty there were no witnesses was wrong and someone did get your number.

......I've heard MSE forums are unwelcoming and full of horrible people before. Now I know it's true! I sharnt be coming back.......
    That’s a shame, you’ll be sorely missed

Don’t let the door slam on the way out.......

• real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Just to update
    real1314; My husband suffers from an anxiety condition and he did blindly panic. If he can't cope with dealing with a scrape, what would happen if he was involved in a serious accident involving injury to another? Should he be driving if he cannot behave responsibly?

He did not leave the scene without a care- he returned home in a total tizzy. He did inspect the damage on the other persons car before he left and thought it was not that bad.

Not too panicked to inspect the car then?

I do understand that it sounds suspicious- I thought so too! However he really is just prone to panic. We were selling the car today which added to his state of confusion. It was also a 98 ford fiesta so hardly someone's band new fancy lexus.
    Oh, that's alright then. He noted the make and model, checked the damage (which has gone from a Big Scrape to "not that bad", but it's only a 98 Fiesta. He didn't bother noting the registration though.

The scratch on our car has disappeared after a quick polish so the whole thing is not as bad as you seem to imply.
    We went back to car park today and asked if if anyone had mentioned their car being scraped yesterday- no. We left our phone number but if nothing is heard in a few days I imagine all is well. To be honest if it was my 98 ford fiesta with a scratch I probably wouldn't bother!

Unbelievable, the story changes step by step. I ntoice you made no comment on the advice I actually gave, just on my summary of your / your husband's actions, all of which was accurate. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure