MSE News: Tesco 'double the difference' over despite ad gaffe

Former_MSE_Guy
Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 19 May 2011 at 11:04AM in Food shopping & groceries
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The 'double the difference' price guarantee is over despite an advert Tesco placed in The Sun yesterday suggesting otherwise ..."

Comments

• tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I hope they get a huge ASA fine and acres of bad publicity over this!!!!
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you read their tweet suggesting they would honour it?!
    I think....
  • Surely nobody still believes Tescos adverts, offers etc. They have been discredited so many times.

If when they got it wrong advertisers (or newspapers) had to print retractions in the same manner as the falsehood was published in the first place we would very soon see all the misinformation reducing.

At present as I understand it advertisers can make baseless claims and all they have to do is to undertake not to repeat the advert. Bit pointless when it has probably finished anyway.
  • corbyboy
    corbyboy Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    tara747 wrote: »
    I hope they get a huge ASA fine and acres of bad publicity over this!!!!

Have the ASA ever actually fined anybody?

This is what will happen: Asda will complain about the advert, the ASA will uphold the complaint and rule that "the ad must not appear again in its current form."
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    What about all the folk (including me) who have contacted CS and have been told they will honour it if we send in our refund details with postal address etc?
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Interesting. They still have a double the difference advert up at the tills at my local Tesco metro. I said to the SA that I thought the offer was over and she just shrugged.
    Clothes challenge 2011 £254.08/£500!!!
    Toiletries challenge 2011 Trying!
    :j:T:j
  • frankiew1
    frankiew1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    It always was a con. Whenever I entered my receipt details it always came back with only about half my shopping available from Asda. I know I don't shop in Asda but I can't believe they don't stock coriander leaf or goats milk!
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Hi,

A MSEr has just posted this on another thread:

We apologise for any confusion. The wrong advert was printed in Tuesday's edition of the Sun. This was entirely due to a third party error. Tesco have in no way changed our policy and will not be reintroducing double the difference.

We are still committed to bringing our customers the best prices possible and are happy to refund the difference if you should find your shopping cheaper at Asda.

However we do appreciate that this advert may have caused confusion and disappointment and therefore Tesco are happy to check receipts from shops on the 17th and up to 17.00 on the 18th May and refund double the difference up to £20.

Heres how :

Customers should enter their receipt into Price Check as normal. This must be done by Sunday 29th May 2011 for shops conducted on Tuesday 17th May 2011 or Wednesday 18th May 2011, before 17 :00.

Once the single the difference voucher is received customers should redeem in store as usual and keep the original receipt.

They should then post the original receipt along with a note of their email address and the date it was entered into Price Check. This needs to be received by Tesco on or before Monday 6th June 2011

Price Check Team
    Tesco House
    Maes-y-Coed Road
    Cardiff
    CF14 4TT

Our Customer Service Centre will check the date on the receipt to confirm it has been entered into Price Check.

If so, customers will receive by post a Tesco Moneycard for the original price check voucher amount up to the limit of £20, plus the cost of a second class stamp. This represents a total Price Check refund of double the difference. This will be returned within 7-14 days of submission.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Interesting. They still have a double the difference advert up at the tills at my local Tesco metro. I said to the SA that I thought the offer was over and she just shrugged.
    I contacted ASA about these + they said they aren't entitled to regulate point-of-sale adverts on the advertisers own property are not them, to try Consumer Direct
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • tightarsey
    tightarsey Posts: 87 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2011 at 4:14AM
    I contacted ASA about these + they said they aren't entitled to regulate point-of-sale adverts on the advertisers own property are not them, to try Consumer Direct

Tried to make a similar complaint regarding M&S 'Dine for £10' offer, as the store was blazoned with promotion, yet they'd run out of all 'side orders', but still had all other items out on the shelves, which meant it wasn't possible to purchase the Dine for £10 offer. I stated they should have put a notice on the shelves indicating the offer was no longer available and/or removed all signage.

Felt like a well organised experiment was taking place at the time, i.e, see how many customers failed to realise and then pay more than £10 for the individual items they still had.

Advertising Standards said it wasn't in their remit.
    Trading standards weren't interested, and Consumer Direct is the biggest waste of time ever, and have the cheek to waste you time further by asking you to complete a questionnaire on completion of the call

These companies do what they want and pretend its just a 'mistake'. Companies the size of Tesco, everything is checked and 'double checked' :), that advert in the Sun was no mistake, its a pssed off Manager, getting his 2 pennies worth, at the way everything has turned out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure