New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Sony offers free games to PlayStation Network users

edited 17 May 2011 at 3:38PM in Techie Stuff
31 replies 4.1K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 17 May 2011 at 3:38PM in Techie Stuff
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Users are being offered a 'Welcome Back' programme after users were locked out following a hack ..."

Replies

• Scotty1.7Scotty1.7 Forumite
    388 posts
    Great Idea if you can get it- My PSN account is still locked and i have had no response from sony or psn for it to be unlocked yet!!! I've 'only' been waiting 24 hours

£200 paper weight is what i currently have and those games are rubbish at the best of times!

Not very impressed.
  • 23n1th23n1th Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Good bribe after loosing peoples details, bribes make people forget about their security! Thats what sony get when they sue a guy who just wanted to run his own software on the hardware he paid for and thought he owned!
  • Scotty1.7Scotty1.7 Forumite
    388 posts
    has anyone got a landline number for sony customer service they only have 0844 number
  • BegizeBegize Forumite
    329 posts
    Both my accounts are working OK now (I have a UK and US one) although no access to the store yet. Downloaded the new firmware Sunday and was able to log back in Monday evening, didn't have any problems at all.

A bit disappointed with the choice of games they are offering, particularly the PSP ones as I have two already and don't really want the other two. I also guess it's download only so I'll probably need to get a bigger memory card if I want to take advantage. The PS3 stuff is better, but I think I would have prefered some PSN credit so I could get what wanted.

I think the 30 days free membership to Plus is crafty too - a little taster to get people interested. I wonder how much "free" stuff will be available for the 30 days? I bet they'll be quite a few people taking advantage of the discounted prices on stuff so more money for Sony, plus I bet they get some new subscriptions to the full service off the back of it.

Interested to see the details of this identity theft insurance too....
  • Equaliser123Equaliser123 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Scotty1.7 wrote: »
    has anyone got a landline number for sony customer service they only have 0844 number

Have you changed your password?
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://m.kotaku.com/5803050/
    According to reports on Nyleveia.com, Eurogamer, and NeoGAF, Sony's PlayStation Network password reset system-the one just put in place after the PSN hack-has been compromised, allowing hackers to change a PSN password if they know your email and date of birth. Exactly the sort of information that was released in the original hack.

Sony has taken the password reset system offline. Kotaku has reached out to Sony for comment.
  • swvillafanswvillafan Forumite
    429 posts
    custardy wrote: »

Aye, a bit of an oversight on Sony's part. According to Joystiq, the web page in question has been altered so that this particular exploit is not, well exploitable!

The games they have offered are a nice gesture, I'll probably go for Dead Nation and inFamous.

Of course they're not going to please everyone with this whole situation (especially the poor COD players that can breathe without it!!!) but at least they are trying to make things right!
    Useful is beautiful
  • 23n1th23n1th Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Sony aren't trying to make it right they're trying to make more money, thats all they care about. In the passed they used to install malware on your computer via their cds now they sue customers for trying to use the hardware they bought as they wish and telling others how to do it. Apparently you paid what £240 to rent your PS3 from sony. Try do anything other than what sony allow and you might end up in court.
  • swvillafanswvillafan Forumite
    429 posts
    23n1th wrote: »
    Sony aren't trying to make it right they're trying to make more money, thats all they care about. In the passed they used to install malware on your computer via their cds now they sue customers for trying to use the hardware they bought as they wish and telling others how to do it. Apparently you paid what £240 to rent your PS3 from sony. Try do anything other than what sony allow and you might end up in court.

Perhaps I'm just naive but I cant really see how they are trying to make more money out of the situation. The PSN service is free (apart from those who subscribe to PS+) and they are offering some free games, how will they make more money from that?

Regarding the suing, I was only aware that they tried to sue George Hotz for trying to do as he wished (well at least he is the one that most people will know about!).

As far as I can tell most of the work he was doing was to enable the use of 'homebrew' software, I guess in a similar fashion to how those chips work with the nintendo ds. Of course doesn't that also open up the system for running bits of software on the particular system e.g. non purchased bits of software, perhaps Sony didn't really want that exploit to become commonplace on its consoles.

By the sounds of it you I don't reckon you own a PS3. If I'm wrong and you had access to it would you have tried any of Geohots hacks on yours and if so why? Not being confrontational, just wondering why someone might want to do that.

Agree about the cd rootkit affair, that was a royal pain in the !!!! for sony and also the poor end users. :)
    Useful is beautiful
  • 23n1th23n1th Forumite
    1.5K posts
    swvillafan wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm just naive but I cant really see how they are trying to make more money out of the situation. The PSN service is free (apart from those who subscribe to PS+) and they are offering some free games, how will they make more money from that?

As has been mentioned above, its a marketing scheme to get more users.
    Regarding the suing, I was only aware that they tried to sue George Hotz for trying to do as he wished (well at least he is the one that most people will know about!).

As far as I can tell most of the work he was doing was to enable the use of 'homebrew' software, I guess in a similar fashion to how those chips work with the nintendo ds. Of course doesn't that also open up the system for running bits of software on the particular system e.g. non purchased bits of software, perhaps Sony didn't really want that exploit to become commonplace on its consoles.

So no one owns their PS3 they rent it and sony can do what they want with their hardware including telling you what you can and can't do with it. So because a few might be able to run pirated software they stop you doing anything with it other than what they deem you can.
    By the sounds of it you I don't reckon you own a PS3. If I'm wrong and you had access to it would you have tried any of Geohots hacks on yours and if so why? Not being confrontational, just wondering why someone might want to do that.

I don't own one no,I've used other peoples but like my PC better for games. If I did own one (and I mean own it) I would want to do what I want with it, I paid for it so if I want to run home brew I should be allowed to as its mine.
    Agree about the cd rootkit affair, that was a royal pain in the !!!! for sony and also the poor end users. :)

It was only a problem for sony when they were found out.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support