MSE News: Inflation hits two-and-a-half-year high

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
3 replies 1.6K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Government's official CPI inflation measure jumped to its highest level since 2008, increasing the challenge for savers ..."

Replies

• MilarkyMilarky Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    However, the more representative retail price index (RPI) measure which, unlike CPI, also includes housing costs, fell marginally from 5.3% to 5.2%, though that still means prices are rising sharply.
    Not mysterious - 'inflation' is somewhere in the middle. Price rate rises are either

i) converging or

ii) crossing

I suspect that '5%' is about where we are. That average of the two indices could have been used as a rough guide of where inflation really was for the last few years. A simple enough exercise.
    .....under construction....
  • LYNNITLYNNIT Forumite
    4 posts
    The government doesnt want savers to beat inflation so you have to do your own research to achieve this.

I have so far found three good sources of income:

1. Zopa (p2p lending) is paying me around 8% after bad debt
    2. Merchant Capital are paying over 9% plus shares in companies by way of bonds (not listed or financed on stock market)
    3. American property - I'm getting a nice 12% on that and it helps spread your risk. Great for holidays to the USA too as you can spend your dollars over there!
  • AegisAegis Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LYNNIT wrote: »
    The government doesnt want savers to beat inflation so you have to do your own research to achieve this.

I have so far found three good sources of income:

1. Zopa (p2p lending) is paying me around 8% after bad debt
    2. Merchant Capital are paying over 9% plus shares in companies by way of bonds (not listed or financed on stock market)
    3. American property - I'm getting a nice 12% on that and it helps spread your risk. Great for holidays to the USA too as you can spend your dollars over there!
    As a more mainstream alternative, stocks and shares ISAs should be looked into by everyone (largely tax free, can focus in on income generating assets) and investment bonds could be considered by higher rate taxpayers with a much larger sum to invest and a requirement for a regular income.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support