Insurance rip off?

Options
The banks announce that cheques will soon be abolished. This prompted complaints from Charities, Pensioners and several Disabled organizations who are either ill equipped or are not in any position to understand how else to pay bills via the internet for example. The Government promptly and wisely said they would investigate the banks decision on behalf of these organizations. We await the report with interest.
It is rather surprising and disappointing therefore to learn that, the Saga Company which claims to operates exclusively on behalf of people over 50, has added a handling charge of £3 to insurance renewal notices when a customer pays by cheque.
Special rates for the elderly? I don’t think so!
Talk about ‘Rip Off Britain’ !!!!!
:mad:
Trying to learn something new every day.

;)

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That is surprising, but it's a big business now, anyway.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Oldbiggles wrote: »
    It is rather surprising and disappointing therefore to learn that, the Saga Company which claims to operates exclusively on behalf of people over 50, has added a handling charge of £3 to insurance renewal notices when a customer pays by cheque.
    Special rates for the elderly? I don’t think so!
    Talk about ‘Rip Off Britain’ !!!!!

IME the "Special rates" were always dearer than I could, and do, buy elsewhere
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • ivavoucher
    ivavoucher Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Saga are far too expensive for motor insurance and can I stop them sending me junk mail, not yet but i've only phoned them 5 times.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ivavoucher wrote: »
    Saga are far too expensive for motor insurance and can I stop them sending me junk mail, not yet but i've only phoned them 5 times.

I have similar problems with their junk mail, but I just bin it, no way I am I going to spend money on phone call to stop them wasting money :money:

However I suspect their rubbish data base is in part a reason for the high prices, they still send me quotes for my Lada that I junked years ago.

As an insurer they have access to DVLA data, if they had a decent data base it would compare & contrast and remove all scrapped vehicles, but |I certainly am not wasting my money to phone them up, and I guess just be ignored anyway
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    they charge a fee for cheques as someone has to go and actualy bank them and then they pay a bank charge for the actual cheques, thats the reason for a fee !
  • Oldbiggles
    Oldbiggles Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    crazyguy wrote: »
    they charge a fee for cheques as someone has to go and actualy bank them and then they pay a bank charge for the actual cheques, thats the reason for a fee !

These people advertise their caring support for the elderly, yet despite the furore that the Banks has caused to the Disabled, Charities and Pensioners about their decision to abandon cheques over the next year, Saga have imposed this charge for handling cheques with no regard to their clients who have probably been loyal to them for years. I just hope that their loyal customers vote with their feet.

Trying to learn something new every day.

;)
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    Oldbiggles wrote: »
    These people advertise their caring support for the elderly, yet despite the furore that the Banks has caused to the Disabled, Charities and Pensioners about their decision to abandon cheques over the next year, Saga have imposed this charge for handling cheques with no regard to their clients who have probably been loyal to them for years. I just hope that their loyal customers vote with their feet.

Im not saying that I agree with the fee's, just that is there excuse !
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 May 2011 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Saga isn't a charity - it's a business that customers can buy from or not.

It doesn't seem fair to me to pass on the additional charges that cheque payers incur from the banks - to all the other Saga customers that didn't incur the charges by paying for their insurance using cheaper methods. Why should they pay higher premiums to subsidise the others? What is so fair about that?

If the banks remove the charges - so will Saga. The banks are who you should gripe about - not Saga. It isn't a rip off. It's far fairer.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SAGA have been by far the best insurers for both our cars and the house. Excellent prices for the first year and price matched for the renewal.

Someone drove into my car in December and I cannot fault the way the claim was dealt with.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    SAGA have been by far the best insurers for both our cars and the house. Excellent prices for the first year and price matched for the renewal.

Someone drove into my car in December and I cannot fault the way the claim was dealt with.
    Thanks for that Pollypenny.
    What has that got to do with cheques though?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure