Proposed Mortgage Broker Code of Conduct

Options

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kenshaz. The point is not 'erring on the side that brokers are right'.

This is about saying "if people are obeying the agreed rules" and others try and disrupt them from helping people, then the site will help the brokers.

Actually in many ways the bias is towards non-brokers. There is no 'non-broker' code of conduct; the code of conduct is because some people may gain professionally from posting (not something I object to in itself on this specific board, if its for the right reasons).

However the key is 'if brokers follow the code of conduct' then by doing so they need some protection from those for whom a code of conduct doesn't apply. Hence point number seven that 'if brokers follow the more stringent rules laid down for them, they deserve some extra protection from those who do not need to obey such stringent rules'.

I strongly believe that is the way to go forward. While I am open to tweaks and improvements on this - the basic principles are a fait accompli now. Ultimately this isn't a democracy, its a private website that I own, and as I carry the can I have to make the decisions on what I believe are best for the site and its users. I think the above solution is elegant and codifys what we had when it all worked well.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    Martin just wanted to thank you for this, I now feel confident to post again in the knowledge that "civil war" will not break out and there will be no reason to be attacked verbally by another forum user. The rules are fair and are basically the rules we have all worked to so far, as payless rightly says. opefully now the forum will be a much nicer place to be and some old regular brokers who made massive contribution to the board will perhaps return.

Lisa
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess my skin isnt as thick as it should be. After having what appeared to be a good discussion thread going in pension section, you do get demoralised by comments like this appearing:
    by slimey advisers ripping their clients off by selling them products designed to pay them the most money.

You do wonder why you bother sometimes. Especially after saying that product [in question] pays no intial commission and only 0.1% fund based trail making it cheaper than the HL product that is mentioned as a best buy.

Some people may have negative views but I hope this doesnt mean that they can be abusive to the advisers and we just have to sit back and take it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    I've met many advisers in my time, of all different shapes sizes and backgrounds. I've never once seen one covered in slime though:confused: . I think the author of that comment is perhaps living on another planet.:rolleyes:
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think we have gone off theme ,why bring a discussion from another thread onto Martin's code of conduct thread ,seems irrelevant to me.If an abuse has been committed refer it to the moderators,,this is an important topic and the flow should not be disrupted,by distractions.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    I see every relevance here Kenshaz, as the reason the code of conduct has come into play is to set out the groundrules that we all must follow, and clarify to non brokers with a bee in their bonnet exactly what a broker may and may not do on these forums.

The reason the code of conduct has become so necessary is because brokers and consumers alike are getting upset at the constant spats occuring on threads where someone has asked for help, and they dont get it because someone has decided to be nasty becuase they don't like brokers/advisers in general and are going to have a go.

Dunstonh was simply demonstrating another example of this. I'm quite sure it is not going to detract from the original discussion as it is quite relevant, and anyhow it seems to me the decisions have been made and there isnt a great deal left to say on the topic.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

• The_Bear_6
    Options
    It ought to be noted that brokers who choose the best option for them aren't going to be in business for long.

Any broker executing your mortgage should be FSA regulated, anyone too stupid to understand that perhaps needs the brain transplant they are currently offering on the FRANK advert. If you take advice straight off the internet with no "2nd opinion" then please, give me all your money...im an adviser.

Martin recommends L&C because they are a large company able to absorb the overhead costs an individual here wouldnt. Sound advice but if an individual here offers similar help then you'd be a fool to not take it.
  • toonfish
    toonfish Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    welcome The Bear - 2 posts both banging the L&C drum. What costs exactly can they "afford to absorb"?

Personally I think the signature think is pointless, but if that's what folk want then fair enough
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote:
    I guess my skin isnt as thick as it should be. After having what appeared to be a good discussion thread going in pension section, you do get demoralised by comments like this appearing:

You do wonder why you bother sometimes. Especially after saying that product [in question] pays no intial commission and only 0.1% fund based trail making it cheaper than the HL product that is mentioned as a best buy.

Some people may have negative views but I hope this doesnt mean that they can be abusive to the advisers and we just have to sit back and take it.

As is very apparent by the context,see post #14 this is just a general comment, not abuse of DH.

Of course it's not surprising that DH is a bit irritated as he is being subjected on the thread to a detailed challenge on IFA charges, compared with those by execution only brokers, by the well-informed poster Whambamboo.

Exactly the sort of detailed inquiry that you would hope to find on a money saving site. :)

Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    Whether somebody is being subjected to such questioning or not, it really is not acceptable to be referring to a highly qualified professional as a "slimey adviser". Whether it was me in the spotlight or the observance of someone else being branded in such manner, I would be annoyed to, and DH has every right to be irrate.

But then again, pig ignorant people do assume things such as, all blondes are dumb, all builders are cowboys, the "desperate" sales person (or is that just motivated?), all taxi drivers are avoiding tax, wannabe actors are cop outs and off course anyone on benefits is just ripping off the state and pure lazy:rolleyes:
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure