PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cream won't whip? Why?

Options
Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm trying to make a dessert that needs to be ready in the next hour but my cream won't whip!

I whip cream quite often - most of the time by hand. Anyway, it wasn't thickening up so I put it on the stand mixer to whisk but still nothing's happening.

Could it be a bad batch? It's whipping cream if that makes a difference.

I'm going to have to get some more cream now as if I wasn't busy enough :mad:

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 May 2011 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Put it back in the fridge to cool down then try again in a while. It may be that it's warmed up too much. It's not low fat or UHT is it?
    If you do buy more I'd just get double cream, I've never had any trouble with that. I have done a bit of googling and you're not the first person to have found they suddenly can't whip cream! It could just be a dodgy batch, if so you could take it back to the shop.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Add a teaspoon of sugar and keeping whipping and it should be fine.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe single cream labelled up incorrectly? unknown.gif
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • yumyums
    yumyums Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I usually use whipping cream as it's a little less fat than double. Deffo wouldn't use low fat or anything though!

I thought it might have been too warm so I whipped it in a bowl over a bowl of ice but that didn't help. Also tried adding sugar.
    I guess it might have been a dodgy batch / single cream labelled incorrectly as you suggest Mrs Arcanum... I wasn't sure if this was very likely to happen though
  • yumyums
    yumyums Posts: 686 Forumite
    Options
    Just tried some new cream and it worked fine.

I'm going to try complaining through the Asda "Try me love me" promise and see if I can get a refund.
    I don't have to return the cream, do I?!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Asda are usually pretty good. I would keep the empty container as they may want you to bring something back to them. You may as well get a refund on it. I would!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    we have an older thread with a good few ideas as well. Let us know what works and ill merge this later

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills