We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

spring onions/peppers

Options
Can someone please help me?

I have potted some spring onions and peppers in pots in the kitchen.

peppers are getting quite big - few inches - can these go outside in a garden pot (not in my veg patch as i have ran out of room!)

Spring onions - My OH put these ALL in one little pot, they're tall with black blobs on the end - can these go outside now? will i need to thin them out?

Thank you so much

x

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Black blobs are the old seed husks. My Spring onions are all outside, will only thin out when the 'thinings' are large enough to eat.
    My OH put these ALL in one little pot,

That could be an awful amount of spring onions , so I think you will have to thin ,
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Personally, I would ensure the spring onion pot is well watered and them split them gently by hand. You can then plant out a neat row of them.

Unless you have a very sunny well sheltered garden, I would grow the peppers on a sunny windowsill like a house plant - ensure you pot them on and feed them with tomato feed regularly.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,326 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

peppers are getting quite big - few inches - can these go outside in a garden pot (not in my veg patch as i have ran out of room!)

x

Depends where you live, peppers do need heat /warmth to prosper, I am in South Hampshire and even here outside peppers are problematic, they do need a good summer outside

If you can just pot them on into slightly larger pot and wait until end of month then you will stand a better chance
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure