Can a bad credit record be attached to an address?

Options
I keep hearing conflicting things about this, so wanted to ask what you think?

For example if you moved into a house that has had previously had a tenant who was bankrupt before can it affect your record?

I ask because we are having problems with credit rejections and there doesnt appear to be anything wrong on either Equifax or Experian. We seem to be getting a lot of dodgy looking letters for other people that dont live here anymore...I suppose we should mark them as not at this address anymore? :mad:

Comments

• woohoo_postingid
    Options
    The rules say not but other things appear to suggest otherwise.

Send all letters back unopened with 'Not Known At This Address' written on them.

Someone more knowledgeablewill be able to advise you
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,068 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    we have moved into a house where the previous owners have recently gone bankrupt. To make it worse they haven't notified their creditors that they moved and royal mail forwards their mail onto them.

It hasn't affected our credit, I did check our report. Apart from the odd balif knocking at the door, it hasn't had any effect.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Technically the answer is no.

It's an urban myth that if someone is 'blacklisted' at your address either presently or previously that it effects your credit rating. It simply does not.

Only if you are financially linked to the person concerned i.e. joint bank account etc are you then effected by the other persons financial situation.

Although, when I say technically "no". Mistakes happen, i.e. people with a similar surname/name.
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    Its an urban myth pity its one the banks seem to use.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its an urban myth pity its one the banks seem to use.

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that banks 'do' link you to other people at your address, even though your not actually financially linked?
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    My best friend moved into a blacklisted house and it took asges to sort it out. Mind you this was in the 90's it may have changed now. What hasn't changed is some areas are blacklisted so if you have the wrong postcode you will find it harder to get credit.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• DramaQueen29
    Options
    I worried about this for a while, but apparently it used to be the case but not any more - the amount of letters we get in rented for people who have unpaid debts is staggering - just goes to show the huge problem - however if you apply for credit and arent on the electoral register for that house i think it makes a difference but could be wrong :)

Total Joint Debt £139k :eek:
    Proud to be dealing with our debts:T
  • meggies
    Options
    Hi all, newbie on here

Had a friend in a similar situation some years ago, as far as I am aware, if you write to Experian/Equifax etc, to inform them that you are in no way financially attached to the person or persons that have the bad credit at the address, this should sort it
    I think they call it being "dissassociated" from the bad debtor
    Hope this helps
  • SkintBint
    Options
    lol! No further forward then - people are saying both things. :)

Anyone work for a credit agency here? :D
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,068 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think people are giving you mixed messages. As I see it, years ago you could officially be linked by address alone; now its not allowed.

Add to that that not being on the electoral register could harm your ability to get credit and that certain postcodes may be blacklisted, not because someone with dodgy credit lived in the same house but because there is a history of doubtful dealings in that area.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure