Millionaire Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 September 2018 at 11:05PM
    Options
    Interesting posts atm!!!

LL - Not exactly doing photography anymore...keep doing the odd piece as friends ask but I don't want the 'work' tbh, apart from one photographer asked me to second shoot in June 2018 which I did (ironically for a Bride I refered after I quit!) and he's asked me for another in June ...2019..lol

I would say the need for photography has grown, but the equipment is so much easier to use now days that anyone with a decent camera could charge for family shoot - obvouisly it takes a lot of skill to be a pro, but you can achieve semi-decent results now ..if I'm being honest...photographers would argue the toss about this... lol...plus as I say as the need has grown, and photography has got easier...so has the pure amount of photographers but I do believe the money is there if you have the business incentive and drive.

I'm not sure about a consultant but from my research a Web developer of 5+ years average wage is above 50k. Junior wages is around 23-27k...but they all want a years experience that I've seen...so starting my own business doing it might be the way forward until I can break into the industry.

Tbh not sure what to do. My current role I earn around 1k a month with no CC costs (Evening work) but it's not great for family life. My youngest has just started school so breakfast and after school club costs £500 a month, and a full-time role(40/h) on min wage is £1,200 a month...so that would mean I'd be earning £700 for more hours and would have holiday costs + most the roles are around a 30min drive into the city center which means in theory I'd have an hour to get back for kids which is a bit touchy as there is no one else to call incase I get in traffic or anything....and it means putting kids in 8 - 6 childcare.

However, I'm starting to hate my job. I have an interview for the end of next week and if sucessful, he has said they have full-time and part time role of 10 - 2...but I can't afford to quit my current job on the part-time income - I could do both, but then I have my degree and this website development to think about.

Ruling out full-time for now (as his hours don't quite work with breakfast/after school club although he did say there was some flexabilty)

Option 1 ) work two jobs, focus on degree, website development will most likely get pushed to one side due to lack of time...but bare in mind the company is in the IT industry and has in-house development roles so could open career prospects...

Option 2) Carry on as I am, focus on studying and either start my own business or wait till a job comes up in my career option but I do worry that without experience it's going to be hard to get my foot in the door. Option 1 isn't really website based so might not provide this, but does give me a side step into the right direction. Plus with being self-employed I worry not being around people in same industry or to train me will mean I'm missing info. Hard to explain on here but these courses seem to teach you how to make a website, but not really about getting a website to run on both mobile and laptop, and making sure it works in both safari and chrome if that makes sense...

Option 3) Stay as I am, never come on here again, and work a dead end job the rest of my life (yay!) :D
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you're all inspirational.

GooeyBob, I'm glad someone else is plodding away at it like me, slow and steady with the odd setback. Mrs CRV and I have taken a decision of when we want to stop the work wheel, planned what we need and how to get there.

We're a bit older than you, but are looking at pensions as way of boosting savings, simply because the tax relief adds so much to the sum total, have you looked into that aspect? Under current rules you can access these savings at 55, although it was announced the govt wants to raise this to 58.

If stocks fell just before accessing the pension fund then we'd have to use other savings or work a bit longer while they recover their value.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Kayalana99
    edited 19 September 2018 at 10:45AM
    Options
    Well, interesting development. I went for the interview for the job above and things have been...well interesting!!!

They loved me. They offered me a higher salary then I asked for (albeit £500 a year more, but still!) they said they can see me progressing with the company and can't wait to have me on board. I had an interview with my managers essentially, then I had a mini interview with the 'top guns' I guess just to screen a bit more, but they were both amateur photographers...so I was just in my element, I felt so at ease which is unlike me for interviews. They actually seem to like the fact I have ambition rather than seeing it as a 'she won't stay long' problem.

The money was better than expected, and we've looked at the figures and we can afford for me to quit my evening job. Still looking at being around £450 worse off a month so we will be seriously cutting back, but it will be a better life-style as I'll be working 11 - 3pm. I get 27 days (?!) holiday + bank holidays (if I work them I get an extra day etc) and I won't be tired all the time.

I'm going to prob look at starting a business again to earn some side money, not sure if I will go back into photography (depends if we really struggle financially I will do this as I know I can earn a decent amount on weekends) or the website business, focus on learning to code more so I can make my own, or the company I'm going with have development jobs open so I may even be able to find something with them down the line.

Seeing this as a career move even if it puts us back a bit financially but if I don't get out now, will I ever because the excuse will always be the pay drop which I guess I need to take to progress with another company...

P.S I've been in touch with several developers in India - the idea is to get the website business going sooner by outsourcing and had some promising looking ones.... will let you know how that goes but I've put a pin in it till mid Oct as I will be working two jobs for about two weeks, then my time will free up!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Just thought I'd drop by now that I finally have broadband again. I can't believe how long it took. :rotfl:

Anyway I moved in on the 10th September and it all went very smoothly. I am gradually getting straight and organised. I've mainly been concentrating on the outside for now. I have found a good gardener/handyman and am getting to know the local shops and amenitities. The neighbours are lovely and everyone is very friendly and of course I'm still near to my family and friends. It's going to be an interesting project, I'm going to enjoy it.

It's already a nice house but I know I can turn it into a show stopper. I just have to be careful not to overspend so I can maximise my profits. Need to watch the cash flow, as always. :D.

I'm currently reviewing my normal expenditure and shopping around on utilities, insurances. Doing ok so far, managed to reduce quite a few of my outgoings.

Not sure whether to start paying down the mortgage fairly soon rather than "just saving". I am happy enough with the return on my long term investments but the short term savings rates are so poor I think I might just throw any surplus at the mortgage. I'll look into it after Christmas.

Now that I have had chance to make a start on the decluttering I realise that I still have a lot of stuff to sell so that's something else to look at next year. Maybe start a bit of antique dealing again.

Kaya. How is the new job going. Are you still doing your degree. DS2 has just started his course whilst still doing the day job, although reduced hours. Like you he's very busy but again like you very focussed and determined. I'm sure the hard work will pay off for both of you.

Fitness wise I'm doing well, pacing myself, eating healthily, building up the exercise again and steadily getting fitter and stronger. Good job because I'm determined to do as much of the work here as I can to keep costs down.

I did work myself to a standstill when I first moved in. I hit a wall and had to rest for a few days. I used the enforced rest time to finish my memoirs.:rotfl:

Onwards and upwards everyone.
  • shocker1616
    Options
    Inspiring post, saved for future reference... thanks!
  • Kayalana99
    Options
    Nothing like a good project to throw yourself into!!!

Actually start Monday so haven't got that far yet, there was a 3 week gap. Been clocking the over time at work too so we can stock pile a bit.

As I won't be driving my Husband's car to work anymore as I'll be working in the day I went and dropped 2k on a lovely little convertible...always wanted one and we have Husband's car to be the 'family' car and drove it an hour away from the garage for the roof to break and stop half way....luckily the garage have been great and even got it towed but I've still not got it back a week today it happened...hopefully soon though everyone has been really friendly about it (us included haha) and it is what it is.

I've been eyeing the Audi convertibles for my next car...I shouldn't be getting that far ahead but I really think this is the year things will turn around for us financially, or at least over the next 12 months anyway. Never been much of a car person either but driving it with roof down (albeit for the hour I drove it down the M1 lol) I just love it to pieces despite the issue..... it's one of those things lol.

Money is going to be a bit tighter for next few months but I've moved some savings into my business account and I'm going to 'pay' myself an extra wage from it as a 'reward' for the hours I'm putting into studying the website development, then ideally I will start earning an income that will overtake the 'wage' I'm paying myself before the money runs out in the business account....so about 10 months total give or take and I'm aiming to get started around 6 month mark if not earlier, because I'm looking into ways of using templates to get it started sooner and then I can carry on learning in the background but hoping by 6 months I can code a website etc.

Also hoping as I'm not working a manual job as much as I'll have less time as I'll be spending more time in eve with family, I won't be as tired so can make more of the time I have. It's ok saying I have all day free whilst kids are at school but often I'd just be so tired I'd end up back in bed or not being able to focus.

Maybe slightly strange but I drove home last night and just sat outside the house in the car listening to the rain for over an hour, just feels like everything is going to change from now on...the warehouse job felt like freedom in a way from 'adulting' and now I feel like I'm moving into the real world...sounds a bit cheesy but hey ho.

My aim now going forward, my motto, is to do what I say I'm going to do. I'm going to get it written for my office wall somewhere and it's going to be what I live by.

So fingers crossed, the next 12 months will take me where I want to be.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent most of my day repairing a window - new one next year when I convert the loft so don't want to spend money getting it replaced until I know for sure exactly what I want. Dormer or skylights - it all depends on what building control advise. Them crawling around trying to fix a radiator leak until the plumber can get here.

I am now exhausted and as stiff as board, completely seized up. Ah the joys of buying a money pit. Having friends round for wine and tapas later. Hope I can liven up a bit. :rotfl:

Kaya. Lots of Interesting plans. Loving the sound of the convertible. Why not. You've earned your reward. You're soooo worth it. :T:p
  • joolsteare
    Options
    Do you think some things are meant to be? Yesterday I decided to aim to make a million by 60 (I am 54, so rather optimistic but damn, why not!) & then today I find this thread! I am going through some sums, ideas etc at the moment & have started a book list to go through, starting with 'Worth It, Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms' by Amanda Steinberg. Anyway, I'm joining your gang, if I may...always good to have fellow travelers

How exciting, go us! :j :j :j
  • joolsteare
    joolsteare Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2018 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Ok. Here we go... I have ordered the book 'Worth It - Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms' by Amanda Steinberg, the first on my long book list I have written down. I have also written down my steps, found in an interview somewhere...
    BELIEVE & COMMIT-change your money mindset
    DO THE SUMS-what will it take to reach your goal? 5000 people paying £200? Do the sums to create the real possibility then work out a strategy
    INCREASE YOUR INCOME-have at least 3 streams of income
    SPEND TIME WITH THOSE WHO HAVE YOUR MONEY- make a list of who has the money you want & what you can exchange with them for that money. A product? A service? A skill? Find them & hang out with them
    STAY BROKE- put all extra income away, no lavish spending
    SAVE TO INVEST- put your money to work

I have worked out my net worth is just £26, 850, not brilliant for a 50 something, hey ho, life kicked me a few times. It still means I am starting on a plus so will think positively

Now to go sort out my streams of income. I draw & paint, so think I will look at offering murals. I have set up an Ebay store but it is not performing & I have no idea why (Bumarts, if you care to check it out & let me know if anything is glaringly wrong). I am also starting a blog, the Late Millionaire, a diary of my efforts & saying it is never too late to try!

Anyway, here we go...look out world, Jools is coming!
  • Luckystepho
    Options
    Good to see some new people joining in! Welcome everyone :beer:
    I have been a bit quiet on here as things seem to have been so busy! Been taking stock and my net worth is shockingly low...

Whilst my job is not too badly paid, I have always been single and so have had to exist on my wage along, which is doable but means that there is not much left over! I already live fairly frugally so not much more fat to trim... have a 21 year old cat who costs me a fair bit but whilst she still has quality of life this is a necessary expense.

I do have some credit card debt on 0% interest I need to clear plus owe my brother-in-law money as he kindly gave me a lump sum to pay off a high interest car loan, so am paying him back each month. I will be debt free hopefully by June 2020 and so am focusing on increasing my income. This will help me to clear the debt faster and also give me more cash to invest.

Love catching up with everyone's progress- LL I hope you will be publishing your memoirs!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback