CSA are crippling him

Options
My other half has done a lot over time in the last 6 months due to training for a new role with his current employer. Howvere the csa have calculated his payments based on this and he wont earning that kind of money every month.

have you any advise on where we go from here. can we get them to base his payments on the whole year or on what he normally earns ?

thanks for all your help we are despaerate.
:jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j

Comments

• jellycat40
    Options
    Try going back to them showing them lower pay slips. Maybe a letter from his employer may help. Can he not just come to an amicable arrangement with his ex not involving the CSA. I believe that they will allow this, it may be complicated though if she is getting benefits.

I do sympathise, I sometimes resent the money going to my partners kids when it is the first chunk of his income and our family seem to have to take second place.

Still you don't need hassle near Xmas so I would contact the CSA in the first instance and see if they can reduce the amount he pays as they use a formula to calculate it and obviously need the right figures.

Good luck.

Louise
    Nobody is perfect - not even me.
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact them and state you want an change of circumstances. They then should reassess you. In the meantime,you will have to keep paying. Is your partner still working overtime?

Louise

"I do sympathise, I sometimes resent the money going to my partners kids when it is the first chunk of his income and our family seem to have to take second place."

Why do you resent it? He still has responsibilities to his children from his former relationship..
  • xmaslolly76
    xmaslolly76 Posts: 3,974 Forumite
    Options
    We have no porblems paying for the children we want to pay, no my partner is not doing as much over time now and if we were to pay the award they have asked for that is it nearly half his monthly income. its silly there mother insists we go through csa even though i have no problems with paying and want to pay.
    :jFriends are like fabric you can never have enough:j
  • megnbills_mum
    Options
    Xmaslolly I completely sympathise with you. My OH was in a similar position last christmas. He had changed jobs in March and CSA assessed him at £135 per week! Previously he had been assessed at £100 per month. While they were working out new assesment OH continued to pay, but CSA returned payments. 2 weeks before xmas we has a demand for nearly £4000. OH rang and they could not explain how they had reached such a figure. They then changed figure to £75 per week, still incorrect. OH then got in touch with MP and this helped a great deal. Within days he was assessed correctly. It may help if your OH can get in touch with MP, CSA seem to buck up when they are involved.
    After 8 years of dealing with CSA OH's ex now accepts payments direct from him, as CSA are completely useless.
    The sooner they get rid of CSA and bring in a fairer system for all, where all children and families are treated equally the better. Or am I just trying to live in an ideal world!
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have no porblems paying for the children we want to pay, no my partner is not doing as much over time now and if we were to pay the award they have asked for that is it nearly half his monthly income. its silly there mother insists we go through csa even though i have no problems with paying and want to pay.

Common sense would dictate that the employer could contact the CSA and it would be adjusted there and then. But this is the most incompetent, probmatical govt agency ever set up.

I would recommend you phone up your MP's constituency office and ask their assistant to phone the hotline up to see if it would speed the process up.

I would also contact a complaints resolution officer rather than your case officer to see if it can be resolved.Take their name and direct phone number. Perhaps the employer would send his most recent payslips though via fax? But make sure they stay on the phone whilst this is being done.

Go here to find geographical number rather than using their 0845 nos.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Good Luck.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    I have known another member say that she asked for the amount from the P60 to be taken into account instead. I don't know if you can request this if you are the payer though rather than receiver.
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has he got 2 payslips with the lower amount on? If so, then they can easily do a new assessment. They do have to take overtime into account, but only if it is not a one off, in which case it can be ignored. If he has done it over a period of time, and his current assessment reflects this, you need to give them evidence of his current earnings.
  • iluvfreebies
    Options
    regards taking any employers 'word' that the overtime isnt usually paid - I know its hard to beleive but very often employees and their managers are willing to provide inaccurate information in order for the non resident parents assessment to be reduced - obviously this is something they can do with wage slips as well but not as easily.
    Comp Wins 2011 : Cant wait to start listing everything:j:j:j
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spendless wrote:
    Hi,
    I have known another member say that she asked for the amount from the P60 to be taken into account instead. I don't know if you can request this if you are the payer though rather than receiver.

Perhaps this was me? I get mine assessed from my ex's p60. This is not done routinely. It only happened in my case because my ex got his employers to move his bonuses around different points of the year to avoid the csa assessing them.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    All he had to do when they were assessing him on the higher wages was tell them the overtime wasn't guaranteed or regular and to contact his employer for confirmation.

If his wages have gone down now then ask for a new assessment to be done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure