🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

18185 charge us for non-connected calls

Options
Hi

We use 18185 for making calls abroad, one of the destinations we call is India, where I notice a fair number of calls are duration ~ a few seconds. This tallys with the times I've heard silence for an unusually long time and decided to redial.

However, when I emailed 18185, I received a reply stating that as they had been charged for connected calls by their providers, they had to pass on the charge to me.

I've emailed back to reiterate that we were not connected but they have clearly ignored the email as it has gone unanswered for 3 weeks.

I pay by direct debit, so what are my options?

Thanks in advance,

Luke :)

Comments

• LukeSkywalker_2
    Options
    What if I ask the bank to reclaim the direct debit?
  • keefrto
    keefrto Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look in the t&c's (i know a pain) but this may help?
    good luck
    Currently 4 me its Rogers Contract cell phone, REBTEL.COM is the best mobile making and receiving calls to/from UK and Canada:beer:
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to me as well, I have been charged for three calls made to Mauritius which were not connected. They answered two of my e-mails saying they do not charge until the phone is answered but ignored my e-mail when I aksed I should get a refund. I have just let it drop although I have been charged nearly a £1. Hope this helps.
  • LukeSkywalker_2
    Options
    So really it isn't the cheapest provider if they charge fraudulently... :rolleyes:
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    It's the first time I had problem with them, I hope it is a one just off, will keep an eye on the account to see if this happen again. They are still the cheapest provider I could find.
  • moomintroll_3
    Options
    We've also had this a number of times when calling Canada, doesn't happen often but is a major pain when it does.
    Wot, no sig?
  • LukeSkywalker_2
    Options
    Could we all email together to add weight to it perhaps? :D
  • upallnight
    Options
    I've had the same problem with 1899. Will have to look in the T&C's.
    Then perhaps a phone call to trading standards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport