Eon wont let me give last reading before increasing my tariff

Options
DebiT
DebiT Posts: 173 Forumite
Hi moneysavers,:)
This is my first post (been lurking for some time), and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem when switching providers?

I've been with Eon Fixonline7 for 12 months now. My contract ran out on 1 May and because they automatically moved me their Eon Energyonline tariff (much more expensive) I checked around and decided to move to BG's Websaver 11 tariff. My move will take place around the middle to the end of May.

However, when I went to my online Eon account at the 2 May and tried to input my gas/electric readings, the website wouldnt allow me to. It said that because I was changing suppliers they couldnt accept any more readings.

What annoys me is that I will probably now be charged on the more expensive tariff for the units I used on the cheaper fixonline7 tariff.

I have emailed Eon to complain about this, even spoke to one of their customer service people who phoned me yesterday, but he didnt seem bothered.
A meter reading should be taken when moving from one tariff to another so that people are charged correctly, and I am considering writing to Ofgem about this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps its the norm?

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Write a letter with the reading and the date. Keep a copy. You might be barred from making the entry on the website, but eon will not have taped up their letterbox. Raise a dispute if you disagree with the reading they use.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Airmike23
    Airmike23 Posts: 403 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair that you are leaving not long after the second of may the difference if they underest the read for may 2nd which is when you start paying the energy online unit rates, will not be too bad as within 2-3 weeks you'll be getting final bill
  • DebiT
    Options
    Write a letter with the reading and the date. Keep a copy. You might be barred from making the entry on the website, but eon will not have taped up their letterbox. Raise a dispute if you disagree with the reading they use.

Thanks, I'll do that, but its about time the regulator came down on them for doing these things. Their tariffs and unit comparisons are complicated enough without trying to squeeze even more out of people by using these tricks.:(
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi DebiT,

Just a quick question, did you try the enter the meter readings before you initiated the switch?

When a customer decides to change supplier, the current energy account goes in to a loss pending status, at this stage a customer can't enter readings online.

The account stays like this until the new supplier has sent over the meter readings to close the account to.

It sounds like your account was in this status and this is the reason that you can't enter any more readings online.

Do you have your accurate readings from the date of the tariff change?

If you want me to have a look at your account, just send me your details to the email address in my profile page and I will be happy to do so.

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DebiT
    Options
    Hi DebiT,

Just a quick question, did you try the enter the meter readings before you initiated the switch?

When a customer decides to change supplier, the current energy account goes in to a loss pending status, at this stage a customer can't enter readings online.

The account stays like this until the new supplier has sent over the meter readings to close the account to.

It sounds like your account was in this status and this is the reason that you can't enter any more readings online.

Do you have your accurate readings from the date of the tariff change?

If you want me to have a look at your account, just send me your details to the email address in my profile page and I will be happy to do so.

Helena :)

Hello,
    I tried to give my readings on the day my 12 month contract came to an end - this was after initiating the switch. I did this so that we would all know when my lower contracted units ended and the ones I would be charged more for on your standard tariff would begin. If you don't allow people to do this how do you know how to charge for them? In all likelihood I will now have to pay your standard rate for units I used under the cheaper contracted rate. This is patently unfair, and whether I planned to move to another energy provider is frankly neither here nor there. However thanks for the offer of accepting my readings I will send them to you.
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Options

DebiT wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll do that, but its about time the regulator came down on them for doing these things. Their tariffs and unit comparisons are complicated enough without trying to squeeze even more out of people by using these tricks.:(

Agree entirely with each of you though Debit I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you - Ofgem are a complete waste of space when it comes to consumers with problems I'm afraid :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure