Book recommendations for 5 yr and 8 yr old boys?

Options
I want to get books for my friend's two boys but I've no idea what's good, cool, or even what kind of level reading I should be looking at! (I have a boy but he's only two, so no help!). Can someone recommend something thier boy has enjoyed?

THanks
Sarah

Comments

• joey_2
    joey_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh that's quite difficult as reading ages can vary quite a lot!!!!
    Maybe Horrid Henry or Roald Dahl for the oldest (although I know a 6 yr old boy who loves reading those too). Not sure about the youngest, can you ask his mum what his reading age is as it may be that he'd like the above ones.
    Oh I know - !!!!!! King-Smith does really funny animal story books the youngest lad might like!!
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would go with any Horrid Henry or Roald Dahl book for the eldest(my son is 8 and this is what he loves) and anything by Julia Donaldson for the 5yr old - eg gruffalo, gruffalos child, room on the broom - they are lovely books and both of my kids (4 and 8) love it when I read them her books - they are all rhyming.

HTH
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    My son is a bit older but at that age he liked the Horrible History or Horrible Science books, he started collecting them. Jeremy Strong books are fun for boys, Book People have a set of 3 for £4.99 or if they are into drawing The Art Attack books, if they like football my son likes the Match Annual
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Famous Five.
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    red house has some brilliant deals, the entire horrid henry set is 12.99 which is a saving of about £60, they will have other offers too
    :A :j
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for those - plenty to mull over!
  • the_other_mce
    Options
    Have a look at 'the book people' website. Really good prices and excellent selection of books for all ages. I've bought loads off of them and they are really good. Last year I got 10 Roald Dahl books (Matilda, Danny the champion of the world, the witches etc) for 9.99!! I normally paid 5 or 6 pounds for one book!
    This year I've treated most of the kids in my family to book packs. They love them. They also sell single books that most children love. Well worth a look (and I have no connection with the company whatsoever!! - I just believe that children should have the opportunity to have as many books as possible without parents etc having to pay a small fortune!)
    Hope this helps - and they also take orders over the phone or by post.
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Quite keen moneysaver......
  • tinselfairy
    Options
    Julia Donaldson's Room on the Broom is a firm favourite with my DS.
    Also Dr Suess books.
    ...it is not of more importance than daily life, which I have an enduring wish to make as useful and beautiful as possible.

Georgie Burne-Jones
  • melaniec_2
    Options
    As everyone else said Horrid Henry but also Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III books are really good. This will go down with both ages if one or Mum or Dad reads to the yongest. All three are very funny!
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    For the older one I would recommend Captain Underpants books - they are funny, have some comic strip in as well as proper reading and you can collect the series - bought the first one for my 7 when he was about 7 (he is a good reader) and he still goes back to them now and he's ten!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure