Getting Pre-Pay Meters Removed

Options
Hi, i,ve recently moved and the new house has pre-pay card meters fitted because the previous people were not paying promptly. I have spoken to our gas/electric suppliers about getting these replaced a;because of the hassle of endless trips to the corner shop and b; the high cost per unit with these card meters. But they are saying that once fitted they cant go back to quarterly meters.. Does anyone know if this is correct, or any advice on how to achieve this would be very welcome. I cant help feeling the energy companys are just fobbing me off and taking advantage of the inflated rate i,m paying. Thanks

Comments

• scorpiolady
    scorpiolady Posts: 492 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, the same happened to us when we moved into our new house last year except the supplier wanted to charge me £50 to take each meter out (think it was Npower) so i rang Atlantic and they took the meters out for free :T
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It certainly is possible to have pre-pay meters replaced. Some suppliers charge to have them replaced; whilst others don't.

However in all cases you have to convince the supplier that you are a good credit 'risk'. It will help if you have a good record from your previous house, or perhaps offer a returnable deposit.

If your present supplier is not helpful, then move to a supplier who doesn't charge or at least your previous supplier.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to find who will change them for you for no charge. British Gas did mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure