We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Fence suggestions for exposed windy garden

Options
Hi there,

The bad weather has yet again blown down 3 lap fence panels in my garden. Living on the top of a hill we catch the wind and we nearly always suffer some damage to the fence. Please could anyone suggest a better fence solution?

I am looking for something that will allow the wind to blow through the fence. I was thinking of a post and rail hit and miss style of fence. Would this be suitable or can anyone suggest another style? Could anyone also provide me with an idea of the cost to replace 5, 6 foot panels.

Thanks

Comments

• flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    just a thought have you tried concrete posts? insted of wooden ones?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I'm sure you are on the right track going for something that will allow some air to go through. Solid fences even when they stay up create vicious swirls and eddies on the downwind side. I would go for good strong concreted in posts because there will still be a good force on them and maybe trellis type panels made of strong bits of wood (not the thin stuff designed to go on walls) or just horizontal rails between the posts. In a few years with plants all over it you will have a good screen for privacy too while still being porous.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband made out fence panels, and left 1/2 inch gaps between the pieces of wood, so that the wind blows through, - look out for fence panels with gaps.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Something like a shadow box panel:

608144_Copy44.jpg

It'll allow some air to flow though reducing the stress, but still maintain good privacy.

Expect to pay a lot more than a bulk standard lap panel.

The trick often with fencing in exposed positions is to brace it (into the ground) at a 90 degree angle at the ends of the runs.
  • TallTree
    TallTree Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Don't leave too big a gap between planks as it makes it very easy to climb over
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Options
    some posts, some chicken wire and some hedge plants should do the trick.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Lorian wrote:

608144_Copy44.jpg

I had similar put in my windy back garden, after I got sick of panels blowing over.

It does work and the fence has been solid for years now. We needed something like this to keep the dogs in, and so my last collie couldn't see the neighbours because he used to bark at them :o
    Here I go again on my own....
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    Lorian wrote:

608144_Copy44.jpg

This stuff is very good I have erected it for many customers and all are happy with it.

A cheaper alternative is if possible put up a wire fence about a foot the wind side of the fence as this breaks the force somewhat.

You can also get windbreaker fencing normaly used in garden nurseries with lots of poly tunnels it is black strips of plastic loosse woven
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • draker
    draker Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    flang wrote:
    just a thought have you tried concrete posts? insted of wooden ones?

Thank you for your reply. I have thought about concrete posts, but was unsure as to whether the replacenment panels would rattle in between the posts.
  • draker
    draker Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Lorian wrote:

608144_Copy44.jpg

It'll allow some air to flow though reducing the stress, but still maintain good privacy.

Expect to pay a lot more than a bulk standard lap panel.

The trick often with fencing in exposed positions is to brace it (into the ground) at a 90 degree angle at the ends of the runs.

Thanks. This was what I had in mind. Please could you let me know where you sourced this image, so that I can get an idea of price. Good point too about the bracing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure