Switching providers

Options
Clydefrog
Clydefrog Posts: 24 Forumite
Hi everyone,

This is one of my first posts here - I've been lurking for a while and have to admit this is probably one of the best websites I have ever used :D You truly are a great community and represent what the Internet should be all about - sharing knowledge.

To the point though - I will probably get ripped to pieces for this, but I've been with the same gas & electricity provider for about 4 years now. I'm renting, and the contract with Npower was originally set up by the owner of the house. I've never thought of changing suppliers, up until today morning when I got an email from this site with some money saving tips.

I am currently spending around £1000 a year on gas (around £650) and electricity (£350). When I looked at Uswitch it turned out I could be saving around £200 a year with British Gas. I realise these quotes might be somewhat inaccurate, but it was enough to get me interested.

Essentially, I have a few questions:

1) My background is IT. When signing any contracts (e.g. website hosting, broadband etc) it is crucial to shop around when it runs out, because with the advances in technology there is a good chance much better deals will become available within the 12 months. As an example, I've recently looked at a company whose basic annual hosting package was around £300, only because they never bothered to look for anything better over the past 10 years. If they were to switch now, they'd end up paying around £30. It it the same, or similar with energy and gas? I realise that in case of gas and electricity the prices go up constantly but would someone who has been with the same supplier for 5 years be normally worse off than someone who just got a new supplier? Am I losing out, or would my electricity and gas rates be the same as everyone's else? Would the only difference be just the name/type of the plan and a few additional discounts (paperless billing, dd etc)?

2) The contract is 'in theory' in my name. Long story short - the supply was set up by the landlord in my name. Problem is, she completely messed up the spelling and I'm worried the supplier will think I'm trying to pull some sort of a scam if I ring them up in order to cancel. Not really sure what to do here. I recall I contacted them about two years ago and when I mentioned the wrong spelling they tried to get me to close the existing account and open a new one with the right name. I said 'no', because I was under an impression they were just trying to get me to commit to a new contract. Could I just cancel my existing contract and hope they don't fuss about the spelling of my last name, or should I rather do it the 'proper' way?

3) Is there any point in explaining to Npower what quote I got at Uswitch and asking them to match it? Or does that not work with gas and electricity suppliers?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading your answers.

Comments

• Mevs01
    Mevs01 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Clydefrog wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

This is one of my first posts here - I've been lurking for a while and have to admit this is probably one of the best websites I have ever used :D You truly are a great community and represent what the Internet should be all about - sharing knowledge.

To the point though - I will probably get ripped to pieces for this, but I've been with the same gas & electricity provider for about 4 years now. I'm renting, and the contract with Npower was originally set up by the owner of the house. I've never thought of changing suppliers, up until today morning when I got an email from this site with some money saving tips.

I am currently spending around £1000 a year on gas (around £650) and electricity (£350). When I looked at Uswitch it turned out I could be saving around £200 a year with British Gas. I realise these quotes might be somewhat inaccurate, but it was enough to get me interested.

1) My background is IT. When signing any contracts (e.g. website hosting, broadband etc) it is crucial to shop around when it runs out, because with the advances in technology there is a good chance much better deals will become available within the 12 months. As an example, I've recently looked at a company whose basic annual hosting package was around £300, only because they never bothered to look for anything better over the past 10 years. If they were to switch now, they'd end up paying around £30. It it the same, or similar with energy and gas? I realise that in case of gas and electricity the prices go up constantly but would someone who has been with the same supplier for 5 years be normally worse off than someone who just got a new supplier? Am I losing out, or would my electricity and gas rates be the same as everyone's else? Would the only difference be just the name/type of the plan and a few additional discounts (paperless billing, dd etc)?

2) The contract is 'in theory' in my name. Long story short - the supply was set up by the landlord in my name. Problem is, she completely messed up the spelling and I'm worried the supplier will think I'm trying to pull some sort of a scam if I ring them up in order to cancel. Not really sure what to do here. I recall I contacted them about two years ago and when I mentioned the wrong spelling they tried to get me to close the existing account and open a new one with the right name. I said 'no', because I was under an impression they were just trying to get me to commit to a new contract. Could I just cancel my existing contract and hope they don't fuss about the spelling of my last name, or should I rather do it the 'proper' way?

3) Is there any point in explaining to Npower what quote I got at Uswitch and asking them to match it? Or does that not work with gas and electricity suppliers?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading your answers.

Hi the name on the account should not cause a problem as the contract is with the property. You would normally approach a new supplier to take over the supply and they would contact NPower for you. As long as you pay the final bill with your current supplier when it comes arrives no problems should arise.I have been with Scottish & Southern Energy for almost 5 years and never had any problems, the savings are the same for new and current customer just ensure you choose the best tariff. The price per unit is the important thing, they are not usually negotiable for domestic customers. Look for an internet tariff as they can be the cheapest.
  • george1939
    george1939 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Clydefrog wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

British Gas are only the cheapest because it is a variable tariff ''not fixed'' which could go up 'but is still the best variable' But why not go for a fixed one whilst they are available [this one could go soon] and is the cheapest if you check your comparison site 'for a 12 month fix' which is fixed until the 31st May 2012 and you fortunately are with them. I've just signed with them after a lot of thought for saving money and all comparisons researched and the exit fees are reasonable [you get them back fully should a better deal come along via a comparison site] British Gas's 'fixed one' cannot beat this one and also has high early exit fees Go for it before it is too late. This is it at long last N power Go Fix 5 it is paperless and web based just ring them and change your tariff All The Best
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure