First flat advice

Options
Hi there,

I am going to be moving out for the first time in October. I will be living in a one bedroom flat in Liverpool and im basically trying to get an idea at what im going to be spending on gas, electric and water?

I have seen the price on the British gas website says £75 per month but that is based on the average household. Since I will be living on my own in a small flat I imagine my bills would be lower than average so is there a way I can get it cheaper off them?

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Comments

• Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't tell you what it will cost, it just depends on your flat and you yourself really. However, if your flat doesn't have a water meter the water company should be able to tell you what it will cost per month. May be worth exploring potential savings from having a meter fitted if this is the case however.

As for the gas and electric, if when you move in you set up a free account with imeasure.org.uk and tell it your meter readings each week and cost per unit it will give rough calculations and graphs of what you're using/spending. It's a good tool for keeping track of spending, either in a new house or just between quarterly bills. I find it reassuring to know how much we're spending and how much I need to keep aside for when the bill arrives.

As for the bills themselves, it's worth picking up some energy saving stuff before you move in. The usual lightbulbs and maybe insulation for the water heater, plus maybe an electric blanket as it means you don't need to turn up the heating overnight. The electric blanket saves me a fortune on the gas each winter, so well worth the £30 if you're someone who likes to run the central heating overnight.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    When you move in, take readings of all meters and keep a note of the readings somewhere safe. If you cannot find the meters, do not rest until you do. This could save you endless grief later.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure