housing benefit help

Options
hi,
i'm looking for some help with my housing benefit, at the moment we live in a really small 2 bed house which is private rented, we have no hot water what so ever the kitchen roof is falling though, theres no gas safety checks been done in over 3 years but the landlord does not care as long as his rent is paid on time if its not i get abuse off him demanding it.

i have 3 children 7 year old, 2 year old and a new born and have finally found somewhere else to rent which is still only a 2 bed but alot bigger than this and its not falling apart.
at the moment i get lha for a 2 bedroomed house.
will now get for a 3 bed now i have had baby? even though it only a 2 bed i am renting? or will i just get paid the limit for a 2 bed and hae to pay the extra myself?

the rent on the new place is higher than it is here so i just wanted to know how much i'm going to have to put towards it.

thanks in advance

Comments

• inspirespirit
    Options
    As it is only a 2 bed, I think you will only get the limit for a 2 bed. Could you not have found a 3 bed? Do you have your name down on the housing list? There's a lot of help out there for people in your position. I think the lha pays on the amount of bedrooms, not on the amount of people. I'm not totally sure though, so hopefully someone else will come along and give you more information.
    1111 Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    As it is only a 2 bed, I think you will only get the limit for a 2 bed. Could you not have found a 3 bed? Do you have your name down on the housing list? There's a lot of help out there for people in your position. I think the lha pays on the amount of bedrooms, not on the amount of people. I'm not totally sure though, so hopefully someone else will come along and give you more information.

hi,
    i thought the same was just checking up to be sure...i have been on the councils list for over 2 year now but have never been offered any where, i have been looking for somewhere to rent for about a year now but everyone wanted high deposits and rent in advance so i have only just got the money together to move as i only work 16 hours a week.
    then i had the deposit and rent in advance and couldnt find anywhere who didnt want refs and theres no chance off the landlord here i have already had abuse for giving my notice to leavethe house.
    I viewed this new place and its £100 more than the rent here but i suppose it will be alot better and safer than what i have got at the moment so i will just have to save the extra each month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure