We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help on Marigold seeds

Options
dipsy81
dipsy81 Posts: 611 Forumite
First Post
edited 30 April 2011 at 7:45PM in Gardening
Hi

I am planting some flower seeds for window sill before planting out.

I have a problem, when i opened my Marigold pack up, the seeds are long thin things, coloured brown and cream!

How do i put them in the soil, brown side down, cream side down, or just lay them flat on the soil and then cover with soil?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Lynda

Comments

• gazza975526570
    gazza975526570 Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i just lay them flat and have very good germination rates

Seeds instictively grow the right way
  • dipsy81
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much gazza975526570.

I will go and do them now.

Lynda
  • dollparts
    dollparts Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I second the above advice, I have grown my marigolds from seed for the first time this year and I have very healthy looking young plants, how pleased was I?!
    There used to be a street named after Chuck Norris, but it was changed because nobody crosses Chuck Norris and lives.
  • loucroft
    loucroft Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lynda

gazza.... is right, they're easy to grow so don't be particular just place them gently on damp soil or compost, cover with a very light sprinkle of compost (if you're using typical soil then you can feed them when they grow true leaves) and thats it, you'll have some gorgeous flowers soon!
    You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt

Author unknown
  • dipsy81
    First Post
    Options
    Hi Dollparts and loucroft, i have done them, but i didn't water the compost first. It is a bag of compost which feeds the plants for about 5 weeks.

I have grown some cucumbers for the first time, they are about 7/9 inches high now, i have had to put them in our new shed which has 2 windows luckily, as they got too big for my mini greenhouse, which is only a metal frame with plastic over it. Someone asked me if they were male or female! Don't have a clue as it doesn't mention anything on the instructions, didn't even know there was a difference. Apparantly when the flower dies, if there is a stump behind it then it is female. If it is male, then i have to get a cotton bud and pollinate the flowers which don't make sense to me.
  • loucroft
    loucroft Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    Cucumbers, just like butternut, courgette, melon need to be pushed a little - the flowers are wonderful but no good if you want fruit. Take a look at the bbc advice, very clear and concise, hope this helps:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingcucumbers1.shtml

L
    You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt

Author unknown
  • dipsy81
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks Loucroft, i will look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories