window film on steamed windows

Options
hi im looking for a bit of help please i have 2 steamed up double glazed windows that would cost in excess of 300 pound s replacing, if i put window film on them in a decorative style do you think it would look ok, thanks

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whether they look ok is irrelevant. The fact is that they will still be steamed up inside and instaed of acting as double glazing, they will be acting as single glazing which defeats the object of double glazing!! You wpould be better getting some more quotes and putting the money you want to spend on film on getting the windows sorted.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • christiansmummy
    Options
    i cant afford the replacemets ive had 7 quotes
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried a local glazier? they are really good pricewise.
  • clockworks_2
    Options
    i assume with the OP trying 7 glaziers she has an idea on the price. I think you should try the decorative film. I have used fosted film for privacy easy to install and looked fine.
  • martyn05
    martyn05 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    Try it and see. I would think that a frosted type one would hide it better. Is there anywhere you can get small samples to try out?
    "Nil Sine Labore" - Nothing Without Labour
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    You can also get double glazed units repaired, the seal on them has gone so they take them apart clean them and reseal them it will be cheaper than replacing and look a lot better than tacky film stuck on them which will look rubish !
  • spinningsheep
    spinningsheep Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with crazyguy. My parents had 6 steamed up panes on their lounge bay window and their bedroom window on double glazed units installed in 1987, and they had them replaced for £120 all in, and they now look like new windows! the company even replaced their leading on it too. the company dropped a leaflet through their door, local outfit and my dad negotiated a discount for them doing both windows instead of just the bay in the living room.

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure