DLA and debt recovery companies

Options
We have been given conflicting advice

DebtLine say as DLA is NOT a benefit but an award and is not means tested - we do not have to include it for calculations when being asked for your "income" on an income and expenditure form.

CAB say the opposite

Which is correct?

Comments

• Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    Debtline. If you're asked if you get it, you have to state it however it is not used in calculations to a detrimental effect.
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    you have to include it as money coming in but put it down as care/mobility in expenditure
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Debtline. If you're asked if you get it, you have to state it however it is not used in calculations to a detrimental effect.

Hammyman, could you point to the legislation on this?

Reason for asking is that for HB/CTB, DLA is classed as a relevant benefit and so I would expect that it should be called a benefit. There are lots of benefits that are not means tested such as Child Benefit.
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
  • wardie2437
    wardie2437 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure someone said DLA is NOT a benefit it's an allowance and it is NOT means tested.
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Dla is ignored for hb ctb and esa ib and income support as it for care/mobility needs infact you may get more in income based benefits if you get middle care or high care component of dla.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there isn't any relevant law here as you do not HAVE ti fill in a form for a debt recovery agency. You only HAVE to fill it in if it is for the court. For court, you would show the income, and you would show the related expenditure covering the disability needs, so that you have complete disclosure.

I would suggest you do the same here so that if the debt does end up in court you have been consistent.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Cat1
    Cat1 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    We are in various dealings with Debt Management / IVA type things at the mo :( I receive DLA for my eldest son. We have to include it in the household income and then discount the whole amount as a household expense. At least then the DLA is disclosed but it won't be used to pay creditors.
  • wardie2437
    wardie2437 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    great - thats what I'll do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business