Avg

Options
Hello, do I need AVG if I already have Advanced System Care?

Thanks.

Fifi
Grocery Challenge 2018
Jan £170/£125, Feb £131.80/£125

Comments

• davb
    davb Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    From what I can see, Advanced System Care is a system and registry analyser/cleanup package which has some malware scanning - it doesn't seem to have any Antivirus.
    It wouldn't be my choice, as ccleaner and malwarebytes do a very good job.

As far as antivirus though, then you will need some. AVG would do the job, but again it wouldn't be my first choice, as Avast and Avira are the favorites at the moment.
  • fifi35
    fifi35 Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that.
    I shall download one of them.
    Do you have any thoughts on why one is better than the other?

Fifi
    Grocery Challenge 2018
  • davb
    davb Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    It's personal choice really. Avira doesn't have local email client scanning, ie for Outlook, thundrebird etc - but if you use Hotmail or Gmail it will be fine. I use Avast, but everyone has their own opinions.
  • RussJK
    RussJK Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    Options
    Avast free is overall lighter on resources than AVG, and is a full package with file guard, network shield, and web filter. The defaults of Avast work well for most people out of the box.

Avira is a superior antivirus, but it is only an antivirus and does not have a network shield or webshield. It still seems to detect bad webpages as you have to download the contents of websites in order to actually view them. The defaults aren't right - as you have to manually select "detect potentially unwanted programs" in the settings in order to block the majority of the rogue avs that people are getting infected with.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The defaults aren't right - as you have to manually select "detect potentially unwanted programs" in the settings in order to block the majority of the rogue avs that people are getting infected with.

@RussJK,
    I've seen you mention this a few times, I've got 3pcs here, all with Avira, but I can't see the setting you mention. All heuristics are at 'high' and all threat categories under 'General' are ticked.
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • RussJK
    Options
    spud17 wrote: »
    @RussJK,
    I've seen you mention this a few times, I've got 3pcs here, all with Avira, but I can't see the setting you mention. All heuristics are at 'high' and all threat categories under 'General' are ticked.

Unless they've changed it this year since I last used it, it's found under the extended threat categories. I can't remember the actual wording however:

http://www.avira.com/images/content/support/FAQ_KB/EN/av10_threat_categories.jpg

I always clicked on just about everything except games (which doesn't seem to do anything anyway).
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's the same as I have, I've got everything ticked.
    It was your phrase "detect potentially unwanted programs" as opposed to 'threat categories' which threw me.

Thought I was missing something.:)
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • fifi35
    fifi35 Posts: 228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    Grocery Challenge 2018
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    yep/ i'd opt for Avast too/
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • RussJK
    Options
    spud17 wrote: »
    That's the same as I have, I've got everything ticked.
    It was your phrase "detect potentially unwanted programs" as opposed to 'threat categories' which threw me.

Thought I was missing something.:)

Haha, sorry about that. Just used to them being called PUPs by Avast.

I had read one of the malwareresearchgroup.com reports on rogue programs - and the results were quite skewed for Avira with poor detections simply because they'd left in on its defaults with the 'Threat Categories' unchecked.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure