mum has cancer can i cancel my holiday

Options
13»

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I too have sympathy and have had something of a similar dilemma myself recently.
    My Nan died a few weeks ago - it was expected.
    She died 6 days before myself and my husband were due to go on holiday.
    I was pretty sure the funeral would conflict with my holiday.
    I was really unsure of whether to cancel my holiday/rearrange or simply come back. Whether to come back and then return depended on the day and time of the funeral.
    I was also a little unsure of whether the insurance company would decline as she had alzhiemers, which wasn't declared.

Anyway what happened was that the funeral was booked for after my holiday.
    This is 2.5 weeks after her death and not what I was expecting but I guess the 4 bank holidays came into play.
    So in then end we were able to go on our holiday without issue and all the stress just "went away".

The reason I'm telling you this anecdote is - try not to get too stressed.
    Things may work out well in the end.
  • sparky1110_0
    sparky1110_0 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

I can't really help/advise on the insurance situation - but just wanted to say I have empathy with your situation with your mum. I am assuming it is lung cancer from what you have said?

My mum has the same and what you have mentioned about her losing her voice - well the same happened to my mum. It was shortly after she was diagnosed and she had no voice really for months. As you have said already, the consultant suggested this was something to do with the tumour affecting the nerves around the vocal chords.

On a positive note - mum started on intensive chemo and also radiotherapy. Her voice came back quite quickly and is now normal again. She is 'doing ok' at the moment - and I think that's the best anyone can hope for.

Reason for my post - is after Nobjocki's comment...just felt I should post my experience as if you were making this up I am pretty sure you would not know enough medical detail to describe the symptoms - which in my experience is one symptom/side effect that does happen with lung cancer.

All the best anyway xx
    thanks for your post very encouraging and i hope my mum can do as well sorry for your mum and best wishes sent your way :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure