Fraudulent Direct Debit

Options
Can anyone help/advise - my husband checked his bank statement online this evening to find a direct debit had been set up with Barclaycard, he doesn't have a Barclaycard so most definitely had not done this.

he called his bank who cancelled the DD, he then called Barclaycard and went through to the fraud department who basically refused to tell him anything as he couldn't give them a password or how much his credit limit is - bit difficult as he doesn't have a Barclaycard, they intimated he could be the person committing the fraud. he is now really worried that someone is going to run up a debt against his name and as Barclaycard will be unable to collect the direct debit that somewhere along the line his name/credit is going to severely compromised by this. he is not convinced that just by canceling the DD this is the end of it. he also works abroad making it very expensive to sit on the phone trying to sort this out.

Comments

• neil277
    neil277 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Lizzieb38 wrote: »
    Can anyone help/advise - my husband checked his bank statement online this evening to find a direct debit had been set up with Barclaycard, he doesn't have a Barclaycard so most definitely had not done this.

he called his bank who cancelled the DD, he then called Barclaycard and went through to the fraud department who basically refused to tell him anything as he couldn't give them a password or how much his credit limit is - bit difficult as he doesn't have a Barclaycard, they intimated he could be the person committing the fraud. he is now really worried that someone is going to run up a debt against his name and as Barclaycard will be unable to collect the direct debit that somewhere along the line his name/credit is going to severely compromised by this. he is not convinced that just by canceling the DD this is the end of it. he also works abroad making it very expensive to sit on the phone trying to sort this out.

Your husband has been cloned wait for one of the more qualified members to answer this for you.

Thanks

Neil
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is very easy to sort out. He contacts his bank, makes them aware that he has no mandate to Barclaycard and cancel it.

Chances are that someone has just typed in the wrong number in error.

He should not contact Barclaycard.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    neil277 wrote: »
    Your husband has been cloned

No, I think we can say with a fair degree of certainty that he has not been cloned.

It is nothing to worry about, cancelling the DD mandate with his bank is the only line of action that he needs to take.
  • neil277
    neil277 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    No, I think we can say with a fair degree of certainty that he has not been cloned.

It is nothing to worry about, cancelling the DD mandate with his bank is the only line of action that he needs to take.

fraud department who basically refused to tell him anything as he couldn't give them a password or how much his credit limit is

I would send letters to all the credit agencies I would say if you have a card in your name by barclays someting is not right.

Thanks

Neil
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    neil277 wrote: »
    fraud department who basically refused to tell him anything as he couldn't give them a password or how much his credit limit is

I would send letters to all the credit agencies I would say if you have a card in your name by barclays someting is not right.

Thanks

Neil

I think you are misunderstanding the OP's question.

Her husband does not have a Barclaycard in his name. All that has happened is that someone has set up a direct debit on his current account. Chances are, this was just a keying error by a customer. It's highly unlikely that anything untoward has happened.

For peace of mind, he could get a copy of his credit report from the three credit reference agencies, but there's no real need to do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure