We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flies on earth

Options
llydaw
llydaw Posts: 133 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

I'm hoping someone here can help.
I'm a newbie gardener so please ignore my ignorance.

I have a patch of earth in my garden that used to have 2 very large conifer trees in it. The trees were taken down (due to problems in neighbours garden) and the roots and stump were left in the ground. I planted corguette plants last year which did well but I let it get over grown with weeds after the season ended.

I have now removed the weeds e.g there is nothing on the surface and when little shoots are coming up I'm taking them out BUT I have flies crawling all over the earth and flying above it. They're not particularly big flies, around half a cm and have a black/dark brown body with long narrow wings.
Any ideas how I can get rid of them?

I've just planted an plum and cherry tree in the ground there and am worried now that these flies might be causing me a problem or will affect the fruit.

many thanks for any help offered.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,348 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I would not worry about them, the birds will soon eat them, or due to lack of food source they will die out anyway

Plum & cherry will not be affected by flies of any sort, well maybe black /green flies [aphids] but from what you describe these are not they

Just forget them and let nature take it's course
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • llydaw
    llydaw Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Faraway. I can now stop staring at them out of my kitchen window getting paranoid :D

Fingers crossed my trees will grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family