Bank statement for children's accounts

Options
Hi, everyone.

My 2 sons have bank accounts with Lloyds. They had them from when they were a few weeks old with my ex-husband as the named parent.

Unfortunately, when our marriage split up, ex-h emptied the accounts and has since denied doing this (despite paper statements still coming to the boys which show there is 20p left in!)

What I need to know is - is there any way the boys could get full statements going back a long time to show when all the money was taken out? Can I go in (not on the records with Lloyds) with the boys and their passports so they can ask?

It would help legally to have a full statement.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• virgin_moneysaver
    Options
    Frith wrote: »
    Hi, everyone.

My 2 sons have bank accounts with Lloyds. They had them from when they were a few weeks old with my ex-husband as the named parent.

Unfortunately, when our marriage split up, ex-h emptied the accounts and has since denied doing this (despite paper statements still coming to the boys which show there is 20p left in!)

What I need to know is - is there any way the boys could get full statements going back a long time to show when all the money was taken out? Can I go in (not on the records with Lloyds) with the boys and their passports so they can ask?

It would help legally to have a full statement.

Thanks in advance. :)

I think you'll find that they can only order back 6 years, so if it was before this then maybe its too late. Also as they were opened in yr husbands name re the children, they are legally his accounts, he's the only one to access the funds & the only one to have access to the info. They would be whats known as fiduciary accounts, adult holding funds on behalf of under 7's. Even if you went in with the passports, they are unable to disclose the info.:(
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,202 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sons are 7 and 10 now. He took the money 6 years and 3 months ago! Perhaps it is too late then in any case. :-(
  • virgin_moneysaver
    Options
    Frith wrote: »
    Sons are 7 and 10 now. He took the money 6 years and 3 months ago! Perhaps it is too late then in any case. :-(

looks like it, if he did take the money it was legal, if not neccesarily moral
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    How did you just find out now if it was that long ago and there were paper statements being sent?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure