Halifax overdraft

Options
Hi

I have a halifax current account and wanted to know that if I went into the increase oveerdrat section and selected a new overdraft limt is this credit searched or not?

Thanks

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not a Halifax customer, but I'd say almost certainly it would be checked by most banks. How much weight they'd give to external data vs their own records will differ between lenders.
  • paulmcerlean
    Options
    As a current customer, you may have a preapproved limit that they will give without an external search. The amount, if any, will be based on your account throughput each month. How much goes in, out etc...
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently increased mine online, and wasnt credit checked
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • battyboimatt
    Options
    It actually says, mine is £750 if i put more than this it actually says:

To increase your overdraft above your guarentted limite of £750 please call of go into your local branch.
  • backinbusiness
    Options
    go to apply for increased limit and type in £9999.

It will then tell you what your approved limit will be, without credit checking.

I did this and was approved for £5K - (I did take it, but I don't use it ever, never!)

BiB
    DF :grin:
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2011 at 3:45PM
    Options
    Your account is performance scored. No credit check takes place.

If you want more than they are willing to give you, a manual process credit checks you if they are prepared to give further consideration.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You won't be credit checked, however it will show on your credit file that you have an overdraft facility.
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2011 at 12:00AM
    Options
    As o4u states, no credit check takes place, with regards to performance scoring I would suggest all accounts are considered when calculating an internal score. Any pre-approved limit applies across the board, to all your accounts (which can bare overdrafts).

Where I diverge from o4u is that you are unlikely to get anything over and above your pre-approved limit. Generally speaking, student overdrafts are the only referrals which go to underwriting (and have a decent chance of an increase) - last time I checked that is. I'm not sure if a credit check is run at any point, right through to underwriting. Obviously this will differ from bank to bank, but I'm talking from experience with Halifax.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • Delree
    Delree Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Why would anyone want an overdraft with Halifax? Their charges are outrageous.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2011 at 8:02PM
    Options
    Delree wrote: »
    Why would anyone want an overdraft with Halifax? Their charges are outrageous.
    £2 a day on £10k is rather good value.

Where else can you get £10k of unsecured debt for £730 a year?

(Or they pay the customer £1 a month if they are in authorised overdraft for 4 days).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure