Charged £75 for 23p OD

Options
Hi, I've never been charged before, and I am so angry I want to do something! Please advise or point me in the right direction!

Im with HSBC, I don't have an over draft facility, as I never usually go over drawn.

Last month I went 23p over drawn - I admit I am not sure how long that was for. I think 2 days at the very most, more likely a day.

Now I am being charged £75.00. I really do not want to pay this, but it will be taken out of my account on the 18th May.

I am a student, which is why I try to stay on top of things, but I do not have a student account. I am only on a course for a year (9 months in fact) and it didn't seem worth the hassle changing my account... I really cannot afford this!

Thanks

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's the first time overdrawn then ask HSBC for leniency....or empty the account and change banks. They'll then need to take you to court to get their money.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree, if its your first time, often they will relent.

An over draw is an over draw, it doesnt matter how much it is.

While I understand your frustration the only person you should be angry with is ..........

Try calling them and treat it as a lesson learned.

Dont empty your bank and get them to chase you. If it ends up in court, you will find you will lose and your credit record will be trashed for years to come.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • emjay32
    Options
    Thanks!

I know I only have my self to blame.... I have no problem with paying a fee, I just didn't expect it to be over £20, certainly not as high as £75!

I will pop into the bank next week to discuss it with them...
  • vaporate
    vaporate Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Options
    Blatant criminal charges of course. Hardly fair to blame the individual either. I could miscalculate a transfer from my account to a savings account and then immediately correct it but still get charged for going 'overdrawn' for 10 seconds.

Rolls eyes.:o
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How did you get on?

Hopefully you were given a full refund of the charges.

Based on what you said, the charges were clearly applied in error as it contravenes a number of their own terms on Fair Fees.
    e.g. informal overdrafts of less than £10 should not incur amny arrangements fees
    Arrangement fees should not be bgreater than the amount requested

And aslo, if this was the first request for an overdraft in the last 6 months, then no arrangement fees apply.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure