Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE News: Warning over bank holiday cheques - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE News: Warning over bank holiday cheques

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
13 replies 3.2K views
2»

Replies

• opinions4uopinions4u
    19.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgriggle wrote: »
    I find it amazing that we've seen the fiftieth anniversary of sending the first man into space, but banks still take up to six working days to clear a cheque!
    I find it extraordinary that the banks still offer cheques, a system that involves a small piece of paper being shunted up and down the county, as a method of payment when there are so many better ways of moving money around.
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Recieved a cheque in the post Saturday. Paid into my First Direct current account via local HSBC branch Tuesday, value of cheque credited to FD account Wednesday.

BUT weekly standing order with Satander for pocket money paid every Friday (for over 18 months now) was not paid until Tuesday! It'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow with the devil's bank.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • My tescos credit card cheque was taken out of my current account today so all seemed to be well. That was a week from posting and included the Easter bank holidays so might not be impacting to badly from that point of view so no late payment charges but will think about it better for the end of may bank holiday!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support