Staggered interest or all cash in one account?

Options
I suspect this is down to personal preference but thought I'd ask in case I'm missing something...

I have about 10k doing nothing currently, and I have anther 10k due to mature from a one year bond in July. Is there any sense to wait until July to put them together so that I get the interest from that account in one go as opposed to two staggered payments?

Aside from the obvious potential rate changes between then and now, are there any other factors I should take into consideration?

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Personal preference, the interest on 2 x 10k @ 3.5% (for example) is the same as 1 x £20k, albeit that the interest will be paid on different dates.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone offer a higher interest rate on sums of £20k? Is it better than any rate you can get on £10k?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • bodmil
    bodmil Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    No that I can see Kidmugsy. It just seems a bit of a hassle to get bits of interest here and there, then again quite nice to get a regular flow of extra cash. Also if I need to use it for a deposit I'll have to wait for all the bits to mature, so I'll have to wait at one point or another.

I don't suppose it's here or there really, but I will look out for higher interest for larger amounts.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    bodmil wrote: »
    No that I can see Kidmugsy. It just seems a bit of a hassle to get bits of interest here and there, then again quite nice to get a regular flow of extra cash. Also if I need to use it for a deposit I'll have to wait for all the bits to mature, so I'll have to wait at one point or another.
    If that's the case and you intend to deposit the matured funds into a fixed rate/term account, why not deposit the maturing funds in the best rate instant access account until your July funds become available and then deposit the full amount into a fixed rate a/c?

As you said in your OP, the danger of this is that rates may have reduced by July (or they may have increased).
  • bodmil
    bodmil Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah it's earning as much as it can in various instant accounts at the moment, there's just always the pressure of better rates to do something with it. But it's always going to change, it would just be nice to only have to worry about rates once a year!

The bonus is that the Vantage change will coincide with one bond ending so that's two amounts sorted at once!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure