Warning to tenants who rent from thier local council. (Rent Option)

EIGHTOF8EIGHTOF8 Forumite
1.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
Wales Online News Link.

Hi all, am new to this part of the forum.
I just want to put a warning out there for people who rent from their local council or council franchised housing.
There have been some disturbing things going on with my local run housing franchise.

Basically, my local council transferred their housing stock to a locally run Welsh Assembly Government/charity (Merthyr Valleys Homes (MVH)) to run.
However, during the transfer, there was an error made by both local council and MVH
When the local council was taking rent, they had an option called (Rent Option), which meant that if a tenant wanted repairs above the normal repairs, they could get them done. But in doing so, would have to pay extra on top of their rent. A sort of loan which they would have to pay back.
However; when housing was transferred from the local council to MVH, this was overlooked, meaning all the tenants just kept paying the extra rent/loan with no end, and still are. Both MVH and my local council have been trying to keep this fact from the public’s attention. But thanks to a local Councilor (Adam Brown UKIP), it has been unveiled and brought to our attention.

So now, there’s a problem between my local council and MVH.
MVH are now looking at legal action to try to keep what they have been paid in error and make my local council pay it back.
But in the meantime, unknowing tenants are still paying, not knowing they are owed £100s

Be careful if you are in such a scheme.
My Avatar is my Mam. It's there as a tribute to her.
Rest In Peace Mam 1931 - 2012
From ALL [STRIKE]8 [/STRIKE] 7 of us. Lost a Bro 18/03/14. EIGHTOF7
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides