Are the Banks open on good Friday and Easter Monday ?

Options

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    It may be better but it's not good enough!
    Banks might like to think about opening when their customers want them open ... and it's no good saying the Internet has taken over, otherwise you would be implying that we don't need shops either. It may well suit you to do everything online but there are others who don't ... and some banks insist that you visit branches for certain transactions.
    When Halifax tried Sunday opening for about a third of their branch for a couple of years it was fairly evident that there was no demand for it. I used to rake in the overtime for opening my branches on bank holidays "because we had to". Several hours of treble pay to serve less than 1% of the normal number of customers. The stock room got a good tidying those days!

Many banks have selected branches open before 9am and later than 6pm. Saturday opening is commonplace. Easter Saturday has gone from a "network closed" to a normal Saturday. Some banks may well have a handful of branches open through the holiday period too.

But from my own experiences, opening up the doors every Sunday and every bank holiday was a complete waste of time. Hardly any transactions, no new products sold, customer demand at close to nil.

Much better to spend that time and effort resourcing the branches when customer demand is there ... whether they achieve that is for another debate though ;) .
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    The stock room got a good tidying those days!
    Mmmm: activities in stockrooms. Not a euphemism, I hope! ;)
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Much better to spend that time and effort resourcing the branches when customer demand is there.
    Yea, I guess that's the difficult part. In my very small town, it would be useless but I wonder if it would work in say, large shopping centres?
    Then again, I suppose that if people don't expect a bank to be open, they wouldn't be looking to do transactions. In all honesty, I never expected Sunday trading to become what it has become. M&S resisted for years and lost.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    are u kidding me?
    most banks hardly open on saturdays or some weekdays with fewer opening hours, their so inconvenient

Where you live? Banks around our area open Saturdays, generally until mid afternoon and from around 9am and are open through the week.

Like opinion stated banks have 24hr call centres, internet, chip and pin cards how is that being inconvenient?
  • coolesticeking
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    M&S resisted for years and lost.

I remember they did this also by deciding not to accept Credit/Debit Cards for such a long time!
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
  • throughtherain
    Options
    It's fine to say you don't want to use the internet to do your banking, but you can't then complain that the banks aren't open when is convenient to you. You can't really expect them to open outside of normal working hours - most people assume they will be closed then so won't want to use them!
  • scott_lithgows
    Options
    What about St. George's Day?
    Oh yes, I forgot. The English don't have a bank/public holiday on their national day ... ;)

We dont get St Andrews day either......
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I remember they did this also by deciding not to accept Credit/Debit Cards for such a long time!

John Lewis didn't use to take credit cards until 1999. (Debit cards much earlier)
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about St. George's Day?
    Oh yes, I forgot. The English don't have a bank/public holiday on their national day ... ;)

Every day is our day !
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contrary to what most people believe on here, bank staff have lives and families too....
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income