Supporting 2 chimney stacks in loft.

davespilbrow
davespilbrow Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 11 April 2013 at 2:38PM in Is this quote fair?

Comments

• Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It would probably be a cheaper job to get rid of the chimney completely. If you had a roofer deal with everything above tile level (eg knock down the stack, patch felt and tile) you could undertake the rest of the work yourself. I was in a similar position with an unsupported stach in my house. It took me a day to remove the stack and then a day filling the skip with rubble. Obviously you do need to be careful but if you feel competent then its also going to be a good deal cheaper
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Utter madness to leave several tons of bricks up there like a sword of Damocles waiting to descend at the drop of a pin.

Take it all down and get a roofer to make good.

You have to wonder what other horrors are hiding yet to be discovered.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • This is a good job u need some one who is expert in Chimney Repair. Because the bricks are most important in the Chimney and the repairing is most painful work in Chimney.
  • keystone
    This is a good job u need some one who is expert in Chimney Repair. Because the bricks are most important in the Chimney and the repairing is most painful work in Chimney.
    Can I have some of what you are on please?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ewcs
    ewcs Posts: 112 Forumite
    keystone wrote: »
    Can I have some of what you are on please?

Cheers
    Everyone can`t be perfect like you, that`s what make us individuals.
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2011 at 7:30PM
    This gives the jist of what's involved:

http://www.carryduffdesigns.co.uk/technical/chimney-removal.html

might help you decide.

Found this as well,

http://www.homeroofing.co.uk/id32.html
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • keystone
    ewcs wrote: »
    Everyone can`t be perfect like you, that`s what make us individuals.
    Following me around? Don't know whether to be flattered or feel sorry for you. :D

Cheers
  • Jaynne
    Jaynne Posts: 552 Forumite
    We've just had the exact same issue, chimneys removed and the stacks not supported properly. The quote from a builder recommended by the EA to support a single chimney using 2 steel beams was £682 ex vat.
  • keystone
    Jaynne wrote: »
    We've just had the exact same issue, chimneys removed and the stacks not supported properly. The quote from a builder recommended by the EA to support a single chimney using 2 steel beams was £682 ex vat.
    For that price youi can probably get 'em taken out completely and avoid the small hours rumble.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure