Charge to amend name on conservatory guarantee

The conservatory on the back of our house is leaking through the roof ventilation - not a lot, but enough that we'd like to get it checked out under the 10 year guarantee.

The conservatory was fitted a few years ago by Harlequin of Berkshire (http://www.harlequinwindows.com), and was installed for the previous owners of the house.

When my wife phoned up to get them to check out the leak under the terms of the guarantee, we were told that the agreement is with the Client as named on the guarantee (that is, the previous owners), and that we would have to pay £146 to get the name changed.

The Ts and Cs state that the agreement is with the (named) Client, but does not mention any charge or process to change names. Is this fair or even legal?

Thanks
Matt

Comments

• cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Surely it's the work that's guaranteed? Not the owners..

Interested to hear the answer on this one!
  • I was just about to post the same question as this.

We bought our house in November last year and it has an Amdega conservatory attached. The documents state that it is over £14k's worth of conservatory. The guttering has one down pipe which is located in the right hand back corner.
    There is therefore a buildup of water that has now started to penetrate the woodwork and go down into the walls.

When I eventually got hold of Amdega (I say eventually becuase until I had the paperwork from the previous owner they would not help me).
    The conservatory is under warrantee to the OWNER of the house. For us to change the warrenty into our name it will cost us £511 (inc VAT). If we sell the house then it will cost the new owners another £511 to change it into their name.
    What a moneyspinner!!!!!!!! :eek: :mad:
    I cant believe that this is correct. How are they getting away with it??

To top it all, they have said that any leaks are only under warantee for 2 years because within that 2 years any leaks would have been picked up. :confused:
    :dance: "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion". _party_
  • This is quite standard, any guarantee/warranty is dependant on it's own T&Cs which makes some of them good, and some of them useless.

You have no link with the company that installed the windows/conservatory (legally speaking) which is why it is between the installer and original purchaser.

Not good for you, but not wrong legally.
    Little lady arrived 13/12/11
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport