Best way to save for my child

Options
Recently became a dad (2 weeks ago) and would like to set up a savings account for my son. been browsing the internet but cant seem to find much info.

im looking to put in around £80 a month but dont no whats best, premium bonds or saving account?

any advice appreciated
cheers

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,676 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or alternatively if you are prepared to consider some risk then investing in share based childrens investments may be worth investigating. I use F&C and Aberdeen which I find to be very flexible and low cost.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • MrsChips
    MrsChips Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    I've just opened the Halifax Regular Saver @ 6% Interest for my 8 week Old Son. It seems the best fixed rate around and you are only tied in for 12 months. The Only downside is you can only open the account with a maximum of £100 and we had £600 to Invest ... We are just going to set up a standing order for £100 per month until the £600 has gone and then start to pay in his Child Benefit for the remaining 5 Months.
    2009 Savings & Winnings so far....
    Pigsback £15.06 +[strike]£40[/strike] M&S Vouchers + £20 New Look + TNS £15 Capital Bonds + Qype Ninja Goodies + £50 Virgin Voucher
    Sealed Pot Challenge #589 - Target £150
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    MrsChips wrote: »
    I've just opened the Halifax Regular Saver @ 6% Interest for my 8 week Old Son. It seems the best fixed rate around and you are only tied in for 12 months. The Only downside is you can only open the account with a maximum of £100 and we had £600 to Invest ... We are just going to set up a standing order for £100 per month until the £600 has gone and then start to pay in his Child Benefit for the remaining 5 Months.
    Open multiple accounts. Dad as trustee on one, Mum as trustee on the next, each grandparent as trustee as well ...
  • barak
    barak Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't forget Junior ISAs which are coming later this year -

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget-updates/march2011/junior-isa-regs.pdf
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing