We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Any low risk ways to beat savings interest?

Options
124»

Comments

• padington
    padington Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2011 at 8:34PM
    Options
    cepheus wrote: »
    Why is 'real inflation' more than RPI?

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article26314.html
    Why is 'real inflation' more than RPI?

If you pay tax I can't see how you can get better than index linked savings without taking significant risk.

As I've said already placing your money in an account where it does nothing apart from losses its value, is not 'saving' your money, its just loosing your money. Its not low risk - you're right obout that, its guaranteed loss.

Its like tying up your horse to a tree where it cant run or eat properly and it does nothing but become weak. Thats not an investment strategy, thats just managed loss.

Your Zopa account is lose - lose. If you either gain nothing or if it goes tits up (inflation rises, etc) you lose. Tax free index linked savings are prettying much the same deal.

People throw around words like 'low risk' and 'savings' but when you look at the devil in the detail often these solutions just mean 'a chance of not losing some of your wealth depending on how inflation looks spliced with a chance your wealth will be decreased'.

Being at low risk of losing anything whilst certain you'll gain nothing is not a saving strategy, its a carefully managed losing strategy.
    Proudly voted remain. A global union of countries is the only way to commit global capital to the rule of law.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    padington wrote: »
    As I've said already...

Stay out of he sun for a while and you will soon be feeling much better.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    If it is a NS&I Interest rate tracker you should be getting more than Zopa after tax at the moment since the former is tax free.

I didn't suggest otherwise. I just said Zopa was more fun.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure