IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

new (to me) car - fault 2 hours after driving it home!

in Motoring
8 replies 996 views
antwilsonantwilson Forumite
138 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
Bought a new car Tuesday, (53 plate vaux corsa), was driving it around a bit, went out in it, and all of a sudden a light comes on on my dashboard! Looked in manual and it is the emission's light, which means there is a fault with the emissions system. :mad:

Phoned the garage "it could be nothing - could be serious, il put you through to book it in"

Told the lady it could be serious and needs to be in as soon as possible.

Nothing till next Saturday! So if my new car blows up before then :T

Dont know which one im more :mad: about the fact that its had 2 services and MOT's in the past month :confused:

Or that a car out the showroom has gone wrong in under 2 hours!!!!

Anyone more experienced than the garage know what this light is or what it could be??

Anyone else not like there local vauxhall retailer??

(cant complain too much, they forgot to ask me for money for my road tax ;) )

Replies

• antwilson wrote:
    Bought a new car Tuesday, (53 plate vaux corsa), was driving it around a bit, went out in it, and all of a sudden a light comes on on my dashboard! Looked in manual and it is the emission's light, which means there is a fault with the emissions system. :mad:

Phoned the garage "it could be nothing - could be serious, il put you through to book it in"

Told the lady it could be serious and needs to be in as soon as possible.

Nothing till next Saturday! So if my new car blows up before then :T

Dont know which one im more :mad: about the fact that its had 2 services and MOT's in the past month :confused:

Or that a car out the showroom has gone wrong in under 2 hours!!!!

Anyone more experienced than the garage know what this light is or what it could be??

Anyone else not like there local vauxhall retailer??

(cant complain too much, they forgot to ask me for money for my road tax ;) )

Can be all sorts. We get something similar every time one of our cars is hoovered, cos wires run under the driver's seat and get disconnected by the hoover!

It's usually the airbag or ABS light that comes on then though.

It's never been because of an actual fault.

My advice? Get yourself a Haynes manual and start reading!

Claire
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • Lady_ELady_E Forumite
    1K Posts
    I had a problem with my little car and I put a note on the motoring /days out forum and it certainly prepared me for the garage "speak" I got , perhaps a mod could move it over there for you?
  • joshm_2joshm_2 Forumite
    453 Posts
    Hi, first off, was it a private sale or from a dealer? If it was from a dealer you should be able to get them to fix it so make sure you tell them about it and give them the chance to put it right. If it was 'sold as seen'/a private sale, then there's still no great cause for alarm yet.

Before exhaust gas sensors were installed, cars ran fine, and you can bet that most of the cars on the road without these fitted are still ok and performing within their limits. But, if they had the same sensors and circuitry, most of these cars' dashboards would be lit up like christmas trees!

The chances are that it's an oxygen sensor (also called lambda sensors) that tell the engine management system how to mix the fuel & air. Provided your car's engine sounds fine and it isn't billowing smoke, you're pretty safe in my opinion.

So no need to panic, and if it's not covered under guarantee it's not the end of the world, most mechanics will be able to replace them and since it's a common car, parts should be cheap.
  • My opinion is that as the garage have booked your car in and i assume this is the garage that you bought the car from ,you really have nothing to worry about ,they should solve the problem for you.

I realise that it is annoying to have a problem,with a vehicle you have just bought but sadly mechanical things can go wrong at anytime,this is a fact of life,leave them to sort it out.if they dont then is the time to get annoyed.

In answer to your last question,I have been quite happy with my own vauxhall dealer.
    :) There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
  • antwilsonantwilson Forumite
    138 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    had a phonecal from them today saying my drivers license wasnt for my current address (which it was:confused: ) and asked about it.

Asked about this while on phone and he said it could be when the valeters were cleaning it could have knocked something.
  • I have vauxhall corsa. Firstly, you need to go to a garage that has the system to read the engine management system. It does not need to be a main dealer by the way. Although most back street garages will not have the equipment.

From my own experience on my car the emission light came only after 10 minutes driving and the coil (it powers the spark plugs) was only firing on 2 cylinders and needed replacement. Basically emssions light goes on because the unburnt petrol is being sent through the exhaust. It ill wreck the catylser if you do not replace it. Very easy to replace by the way.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • If I’d had a 53 plate car which didn’t last 3 hours without going wrong I’d expect the seller to fix and provide me with an alternative car whilst it was being repaired
  • Big_OBig_O Forumite
    49 Posts
    Could just be the fuel lines need cleaning - all mine needed afetr failing the emissions MOT section - it cost £12 to do. Depends on miles and how it's been driven though...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum