We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ISA reactivation

Options
Hi, can anyone help? I have an ISA i didnt pay into last year and want to transfer it. I have been told I need to reactivate it to do this. I have been given so much bad advice by banks recently I just want to check if this is right,

many thanks

Comments

• OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Reactivate how / what?
    Who is it with? If there is money in it from an earlier year - you can move it when you want - just choose a new provider and give them the information for the account and they willl do the transfer.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you pay into an ISA in one tax year the same provider can accept another contribution next year without the same level of paperwork. Indeed, some have no paperwork at all. However, if you have a gap year, they have to treat it as a new application and that level of paperwork that goes with it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    If you pay into an ISA in one tax year the same provider can accept another contribution next year without the same level of paperwork. Indeed, some have no paperwork at all. However, if you have a gap year, they have to treat it as a new application and that level of paperwork that goes with it.

I thought that only applied if you wanted to add more money to the 'account'? The OP seems to simply want to transfer the money out.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought that only applied if you wanted to add more money to the 'account'? The OP seems to simply want to transfer the money out.

Transfer out doesnt need "reactivation".

My response was a little generic to when you need to "reactivate" rather than saying its not needed in this case.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport