Paypal email

Options
Just received an email from Paypal re notification of pending eCheque payment.It gives a link to click on in order to fill in a registration form.Does this sound legitimate?

Comments

• phill79
    phill79 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Have you got a paypal account?

If so, log into it yourself and it will inform you.

Hover your mouse over the "link" and see where it points to.

I've never had to fill in a form for an echeque, the email just arrives and then you wait.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes,i have got a paypal account.When i put the mouse over the link it gives the same htpps address as in the link
  • David_B_2
    Options
    phill79 wrote:
    Have you got a paypal account?

If so, log into it yourself and it will inform you.

Hover your mouse over the "link" and see where it points to.

I've never had to fill in a form for an echeque, the email just arrives and then you wait.
    Follow Phill's advise.

I never ever follow links from e-mails. If it;s genuine then it'll be available through your Paypal account as well.
    Regards,
    Dave

If only I had a pound for every time I used the thanks button :D
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phill79's absolutely right. Anything from Paypal will also work from their site. Just having an https: link doesn't necessarily mean it's safe.

Go to http://www.paypal.com, log in via your username and password and you should be able to see any communications from there.

Also, was the email greeting addressed to you personally i.e. Firstname Surname (rather than Dear Paypal User?)
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • hollydays
    Options
    It was addressed to my email address.
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doesn't make any difference - anyone could have got hold of your email address. Paypal is often the target of spammers.
  • phill79
    phill79 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote:
    It was addressed to my email address.

I've just checked and all my Paypal payment emails received are addressed to my registered name on Paypal.

Another question: Were you actually expecting a payment??? If not, then bin it, if so, log into paypal manually.
  • hollydays
    Options
    I am in some disarray with my paypal account at the moment.Facts i have been using quidco and now have been trying to access my earnings.I have changed my paypal email address and it is showing at the moment on paypal as unverified.There is a small amount of 2.30 that is showing as paid on quidco.This is the amount the email was discussing,from a company that is apparently a subsidiary of quidco.I am also in the process of faxing them a change of name.I am waiting for some help from my son to show me how to verify my email address.
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to say this does NOT sound legitimate to me. Be very careful what you click on and do NOT give out any personal details. Can you cut and paste the text of the email you received (by all means remove any personal details in it).
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If it helps, I know quidco do make payments by echeque.

Log in to paypal and check that there is an echeque showing for the amount in question.

One thing I do know about quidco is that if the payment is made to the wrong address, it becomes lost forever - quidco make this quite clear. Hope that's not the case here!
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure