Advice on scotish power complaints

Options
Hi there, wondering if anyone can help or advise me please, last april we moved into an all electric appartment and signed up to scotish power, on the phone we were told the bill would be capped at £40 a month for 12 months, because of the size of the appartment we were told it was possible we would use less than £40 but it would be our loss and likewise if it was over there would be no charge on there side, in october i recieved a letter stating the bill was going up to £80, i rang to complain and they said it would stay at £40 until the complaint was resolved, after 4 weeks i rang to see what was going on and was told someone would be in touch, in january we moved out and rang to tell them this, they then sent a bill demanding £350 that was owed now that we were closing our account! can they do this without resolving my complaint? and secondly where do i stand on this? any help would be great:beer:

Comments

• DirectDebacle
    DirectDebacle Posts: 2,045 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to MSE.

I suspect there may be some confusion over the capped price. I am guessing that SP told you that the price was capped at x pence per kWh and that on your anticipated usage of y kWh per annum it was anticipated that £40 per month would cover that usage. Of course the cost per annum would vary according to actual usage.

Check your opening reading against your final (closing) reading. Calculate the cost of the kWh you have used and deduct what you have paid and any discounts you may be entitled to.

You will then have the correct balance on your account.
  • eurmalian
    eurmalian Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, just to add to the above post, capped prices usually mean that you will pay a set cost per unit and even if prices rise yours will stay the same. You still need to pay for every kWh that you use though. The DD will be set up with them estimating the number of kWh you're likely to use and trying to cover that. If you've then used far more electricity than they estimated then you will end up with a large bill at the end of it, however.

I haven't ever heard of a 'pay this much and we'll ignore your usage' deal being offered recently. It may just be that I missed it, however I really don't see what the supplier would get out of that, especially setting it at such a low level, as £40 a month for an all electric flat is absolutely nothing, so Scottish Power would be pretty much guaranteed to make a loss on it it you were freely using the power...
    I am an employee of British Gas, however the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi withnail78,

The advice you have been getting so far is good.

ScottishPower do not offer a capped monthly payment but do offer capped rates, this means the price you pay per kWh (kilowatthour) of gas and electricity will not increase. When we start supplying you we do not know how much gas and electricity you will be using and set your monthly payment at an estimated amount, usually with the customers help, this payment is chequed quarterly and increased or decreased if required. It sounds like this is when you got the increase to £80.00.

Every situation is going to be different and it may be best for you to e-mail me your account details to [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] and I will see if I can give you a better explanantion and find a way of moving forward.

Kind Regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure