MSE News: OFT launches probe into extended warranties

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
4 replies 1.5K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The watchdog is worried they are too expensive and there is too little competition, with action possible ..."

Replies

• edited 14 April 2011 at 10:51AM
    ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 April 2011 at 10:51AM
    They have only just noticed? This has been going on for decades.

EDIT: Ah, the BBC explains it better. Rules were brought in previously in 2005 and now they are checking whether they have been effective.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13078284
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At comet you get a 45 day cooling off period - which is great - you go all keen on the most expensive extended warranty whilst negotiating on price then having secured your 20% discount on the product you go home and ring up (say no to 0870) and cancel the warranty - it would be areal shame if they disappeared.

Most recent example - 439 Panasonic washing machine purchased for £355 (and even better Panasonic were dong a 6 year warranty so there was no way anyone would have wanted the comet one but they didn't even realise that in store)
    I think....
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nationwide credit card customers can get an extra one year guarantee on such products by simply registering the product with Nationwide after purchase (assuming the manufacturers guarantee is no more than two years).

Remember that the discounters (Aldi & Lidl) have free, three year guarantees on practically all their items, making them really good value for money. The only downside is you cannot pay by credit card for S.75 protection.
    Any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
  • Nationwide credit card customers can get an extra one year guarantee on such products by simply registering the product with Nationwide after purchase (assuming the manufacturers guarantee is no more than two years).

Remember that the discounters (Aldi & Lidl) have free, three year guarantees on practically all their items, making them really good value for money. The only downside is you cannot pay by credit card for S.75 protection.

Both Aldi and Lidl accept credit cards...well they've accepted mine this month!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support