Hole in Plasterboard

I have a stud wall and there was a light switch there which i've taken out but there's now a square hole in the wall.

What the best way to fill/cover it and what will give it the best finish??

cheers

jay

Comments

• I would place a piece of wood, 1"x 2" should do fine, across the hole on the inside, fixed in place with a couple of screws, one either side. Then cut a piece of plaster board to fill the hole, fixing it in place using a screw into the pice of wood. Finally fill in the screw heads and gaps using some pollyfilla.
  • owls
    owls Posts: 217 Forumite
    As above, but dont go to far into the plasterboard with your screws or they wont hold.
  • I usually use an adhesive such as 'no more nails' rather than screws. Here's a simple guide which demonstrates the advice already given. Also rather than using a bit of string to pull the patch I use a screw with the bulk of the shaft sticking out (easy to remove when the adhesive has set).
  • mac123
    mac123 Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just as a follow on from this, is there an easy way to tell if i can take this wall down.

briefly, its an open plan living/kitchen with one (64cm) bit of wall sticking out from floor to ceiling getting in the way of my grand designs!

thanks
  • mac123 wrote:
    Just as a follow on from this, is there an easy way to tell if i can take this wall down.

briefly, its an open plan living/kitchen with one (64cm) bit of wall sticking out from floor to ceiling getting in the way of my grand designs!

thanks

For such a small 'wall' it's possible that it's hiding something - perhaps a pillar or supporting structure of some sort? Can you see anything through the hole?
  • get hold of some wall repair tape and use a good filler on top, have a look at screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A336168&ts=21749&id=87018

Cheers

Nitin
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello mac123

I hope you don't mind if I ask our Plastering expert nelly to give his valued opinion?

I'll send him a pm and ask him to post his advice on your thread.

Kind Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd have to say mr grumpies is the best way , well its the way i do it anyway.

ntejura - the tape you recomend is good for cracks and very small repairs, for a hole of this size the tape isnt suitable mainly because with it being an ex electric socket its at the perfect height for being banged by people and it would give way im afraid :)
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Stuff the hole with chicken wire! fill it will expanding foam then plaster on top.
    Thats what i would do anyway.
    Or you could you just a blanking plate...... as a temporary option
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family