Travelodge - Edinburgh, Musselburgh

Options
Hello!!
I found the Travelodge - Edinburgh, Musselburgh at 15quids but the location frightens me a bit...it seems like it is on the motorway...
and then it says 10mins walk from the train station.

I don't wanna risk my life for spending that price...
Has anyone been there??

Thanks

PS: Otherwise I saw a 4* holiday inn on holidaycity.com at 51quids...is it realiable? i tried to chat with them and they are pretty slow to chat but...

Comments

• dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know the location well, it's just off the A1 but set back enough from the road not really bother you.
    What may bother you is that these are fairly small services with few facilities beyond the services resteraunt and a burger king. While it may be a 10 minute walk to the station, remember the weather!
    If you are using this to explore Edinburgh, personally I would pay more and stay in town. There are lots of fantastic 'service' flats at a reasonable cost, or try https://www.otel.com. I book hotels via them and have found them reliable and competative. HTH
  • smilingit
    Options
    there is even this 4star hotel holiday inn @ 52 quids.
    Does anyone know where it is? Yeah it is definately to visit the city!!
    thanks

http://www.holidaycityeurope.com/hi-edinburgh-north/book.htm
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes (me again!) I know it. The hotel is fine and it's about a 10 - 15 minute bus ride to the city centre. There is another Holiday Inn slightly nearer beside the Zoo, which I've also used.

Both are standard Holiday Inn fare!

Neither is within walking distance of the centre but are well served for public transport, particularly the one by the Zoo

I go up to Edinburgh every 3 weeks to see my daughter and often stay in hotels, hence a good knowledge of many of them!!
  • parkside_stroller
    Options
    The Musselburgh Travelodge is served by public transport as I have seen buses going past through the nearby village of Old Craighall (the hotel is less than half a mile from there and less than half a mile from the outskirts of Musselburgh). The exact location of the nearest bus stop I am unclear about but they go between the two places (if you went to your left toward Old Craighall on leaving Travelodge you would go in the direction of Edinburgh).

Train station in Musselburgh is about 15 minutes walk (walk out to left until you come to mini roundabout, turn right and you should see outskirts of Musselburgh immediately in front of you. Turn left at mini roundabout following National Cycle route signs through a housing estate. Once out estate you should see the cycle route turning left towards the train station).

Alternatively drive to the train station in Musselburgh or to the station at Newcraighall where you can pick up the Dunblane train which will take you to Edinburgh Waverley (city centre). You will also find a park and ride facility there for bus service (Lothianbus 30) to city centre.
    To get to Newcraighall go back on to A1 - leave Travelodge car park going past petrol station. Turn right at mini roundabout. At large roundabout (which goes under A1) go right (3rd exit). Drive for about 1.5 - 2 miles until you come to the first slip road on left. You should see a large B&Q on your left and a retail park. You want to go right at end of the slip road (mini roundabout), go under A1, straight on at next mini-round and then take right at traffic lights and you are there.

I'd give you the exact details on bus, train etc but for some reason I can't open timetable which are using Adobe Acrobat reader. If you follow these links you will get to homepages though.

http://www.lothianbuses.co.uk/

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/scotland/sescot/timetables/timetableindex.php

For Newcraighall park and ride info go to:

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/transportedinburgh/Roads/Rides/Newcraighall/newcraighall.html

Trains at http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/index.php

If you are using Musselburgh station it is on the Edinburgh - North Berwick route and the Newcraighall one is on Bathgate to Edinburgh timetable if travelling from city centre and on Edinburgh to Dunblane if travelling the opposite way.

Travel around city is £1 single journey on bus (60p children) or Day ticket at £2.30 (£2 children).

The Holiday Inn you were thinking of is on a main route into the city from Fife and North West outskirts of Edinburgh (the other Holiday Inn near the Zoo is to the West of the city and on a main route). You would find both well served by bus links and about 10 mins from city centre (more at rush hour but still reasonable due to bus lanes).

If driving in Edinburgh, rush hour starts about 7.30 and becomes clogged 8-9 am then gets a bit better again. In evening it starts about 3.45 in some areas and last until about 6.30. Arriving at Musselburgh travelodge this would not be a problem but it would be if you go to either of the Holiday Inns.
  • smilingit
    Options
    Thanks for your reply... Just keep in mind I won't have a car and just public transports. I will go on the 13th Jan which is a Saturday. I actualy saw that on Sun morning 1st train from Musselburgh to Edinburgh is at 11 in the morning...

Anyway do you think it is walkable from the station to the travelodge...thats because i read there is no walkpath... I don't care if it 2ake risk...0mins or sth...just don't want to take risks!
  • parkside_stroller
    Options
    Its not entirely without a footpath from Travelodge to train station at Musselburgh.
    You would have no footpath for a section of the route - about 200 yards perhaps (most of which is in the grounds of the service area then you cross the road at the first of the mini roundabouts but I'd say don't try it if you have any difficulties with mobility - including people with pushchairs/small children). Then you follow a footpath as previously directed.
    If the £15 deal was most important then I would definitely check the bus times before booking as you can pretty much get there without having to walk to the train station. You could probably get a bus from Princes Street or North Bridge (both beside Waverley Station) try here for bus details.
    Alternatively if you want you could phone a taxi to take you from station to travelodge (I'd guess at about £4) - try www.yell.com service taxi (obviously) and place Musselburgh (not Edinburgh).

Unfortunately you won't get a £15 deal on the central Edinburgh Travelodge which is 10 minutes walk from main rail station.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Don't forget to read the Scotland Board before you go :)
  • Craig_A
    Craig_A Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately you won't get a £15 deal on the central Edinburgh Travelodge which is 10 minutes walk from main rail station.

Ooops, I feel bad now, I booked a 15 quid room at the Central Edinburgh hotel just a couple of nights ago. Probably the last one, sorry! :s
  • parkside_stroller
    Options
    Craig_A wrote:
    Ooops, I feel bad now, I booked a 15 quid room at the Central Edinburgh hotel just a couple of nights ago. Probably the last one, sorry! :s

I'm pretty amazed you got that one at £15 - definitely a bargain at that location.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure