Bit confused what readings I should give...

Options
NitWitson
NitWitson Posts: 11 Forumite
I'm currently with EDF and only moved into the new house in October. I have an accurate electricity bill for one full quarter, but not for gas as they billed it from 11/11/10-29/01/11 when the gas man came and did a reading.

I'd like to check and see if I can make any savings with another supplier, but not sure if I should use the usage from these bills, even though the gas isn't for a full quarter. Also, the usage on these is during winter, so won't the figures I give be unrealistic as I'm likely to use less than this as the days get longer and warmer(ish)?

Finally, bit confused about the tariff I'm on for gas. Electricity bill says 'Standard Tariff', while Gas says 'Duel Fuel' which I seem to get a few quid discount for. I can't seem to find the 'Duel Fuel' tariff on the EnergyHelpline website. What should I put down?

Many thanks, in advance.

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NitWitson wrote: »
    I'm currently with EDF and only moved into the new house in October. I have an accurate electricity bill for one full quarter, but not for gas as they billed it from 11/11/10-29/01/11 when the gas man came and did a reading.

I'd like to check and see if I can make any savings with another supplier, but not sure if I should use the usage from these bills, even though the gas isn't for a full quarter. Also, the usage on these is during winter, so won't the figures I give be unrealistic as I'm likely to use less than this as the days get longer and warmer(ish)?

Finally, bit confused about the tariff I'm on for gas. Electricity bill says 'Standard Tariff', while Gas says 'Duel Fuel' which I seem to get a few quid discount for. I can't seem to find the 'Duel Fuel' tariff on the EnergyHelpline website. What should I put down?

Many thanks, in advance.

You need to have a good estimate of your annual usage, else any comparison is meaningless. You are correct in that you will use a lot more energy inwinter than you do in summer.

As for your current tariff, you appear to be on Standard tariff, albeit get a dual fuel discount because you buy both from the same supplier.
    When you use EHL, choose standard tariff and because you buy both from the same supplier it will automatically know you get dual fuel discount.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Izzi321
    Izzi321 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also with EDF and I’m thinking of leaving. What I did was to call EDF and ask them what my annual usage was based on actual readings not estimates. I then went to a comparison websites to check who was the cheapest. The only thing I would say is that it can be difficult to find out who are truly the cheapest because most suppliers keep changing the goal posts by having various tariffs and changing their prices all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure